Tyrienne here, Hailsa!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrienne here, Hailsa!

Post by Tyrienne on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:57 pm

Greetings! I'm Tyrienne, one of the moderators of the "
Lokitru"
facebook page and (sometimes a bit ruefully) the infamous author of the much hated blog http://www.hailloki.wordpress.com (Yes, I'm under the alias "
Raven"
there- but enough Raven tattoos and you get nicknames)

I was raised Heathen- half my family is considered "
Vanic"
Latvian- we just call it "
the old religion"
- Loki is called Loke- and is a God of clean chimneys- and will bless you with luck if you keep your flue clean.

The other side is German and what is now called "
Urglaawe"
... my family just called it "
Folk Craft"
- and you would get smacked to call it "
magic"
. My father spent most of my childhood being an open-ish Lokean....and his mothers line was Brauchers in Lancaster, Pa until the early part of last century. I was fortunate that the last of them was still living until I was 8 years old, I am grateful for the time I had with her, but I wish she lived longer so I could have learnt more from her.

I didn't know the term "
Heathen"
growing up and only knew of a couple of other families who had similar beliefs in LOOSELY the same pantheon of God/desses. . Many Pa Dutch and Baltic families who practice polytheism were sheltered by the Lutheran church. Our German pastor used to refer to my dad, pop-pop, and I as his "
pagan invasion"
-and would joke if the three of us were in church at the same time, lightning would strike (it did....but it was only once. I swear.)

They also wouldn't let me choose "
Lucifer"
as my confirmation name, so I had to settle for the name of a city.

In my 20's, I was invited to help form a small, private kindred in Pennsylvania...I stayed a couple of years until I entered university for Religions and in the process, did a bit of a walk-a-bout (metaphorically) exploring the "
Community"
to the objection of my relatives

Got myself in a whole MESS of trouble with an unnamed national organization I joined since I didn't realize that THEY were promoting "
reconstructionism"
and INSISTED native heathenry was completely wiped out in the dark ages. My family is a living contradiction to that false claim, as are hundreds of others in the USA and thousands in Europe. Being "
Pro-Loki"
was actually what pissed them off the most, actually. A God of my family isn't "
Evil"
...especially if Loki has been studied to be the God of cleverness and uncomfortable truths.

On the bright side, I met my husband via that disaster of being in the entirely wrong place of worship for my personal beliefs... So, it all balances out in the end. Laughing

Now I spend a great deal of time online finding and connecting Heathens to other Heathens.... especially trying to strengthen our connections between European Loki/Rokkr worship and the mess that is basically what we call "
Christian Heathenry"
over here.

(Meaning: former Christians imposing their childhood belief system and logic to the polytheistic Gods= it doesn't work. We have no "
good"
or "
bad"
Gods. Some believe our Gods are our Ancestors, others believe they are different than us- I don't care which you choose, as long as you don't bring up Marvel Loki or I might have to skin you alive)

I'm basically a pan-polytheist archetypist with a strange religious background....I'm a former academic and enjoy helping people as much as I can with questions or pointing them to the correct people/organizations who can answer them if I cannot.

As for my personal worship practice- Tyr is actually my patron, it seems, but I enjoy a close connection to Loki, Surtr, Freyr, and a few other God/desses from other pantheons. For the Northern European Gods, most of my other connections to the other Gods is simply that they are the Gods of my family. Woten and Donar (Odin and Thor) also are very significant to our practice with our kindred.

My grandmother became a 100% open member of "
The Old Latvian Religion"
after our very Heathen wedding, and she's still with us translating her books in Latvian when she can! (which is unbelievably awesome) She is the most "
Freyr"
person I know (In Lettish, his name is "
Janis"
after St. John- they changed his name to keep their major holiday on June 26 which is basically worshipped similar to Swedish Freyfaxi).

....Now, in my 30's, I'm back in the kindred I began in (as Gythia...again :? ) and I've finished metaphorically licking my wounds and I'm venturing out into the local community in a broader sense to reconnect with my Lancaster/Bavarian roots and see what positive things I can contribute- preferably keeping my "
Flyting"
tendencies to a minimum and trying to preserve "
natural"
heathenry- encouraging the "
quiet"
families to share their traditions and stories publically, or at least with someone willing to write them down. There is more than just the Edda's and Hamaval- Oral tradition is HUGE- you can burn books, not thoughts. Smile

Tomorrow I will be attending the first "
open community"
event in two years and I a combination of excited and a bit apprehensive- but looking at the guest list- I see other formerly "
blacklisted"
people invited as well. We have an excellent Folkbuilder from the Troth in this area who is REALLY working his ass off to try and form a cohesive, peaceful Heathen network, and ethically speaking, I feel it would be dishonorable to do anything less than support him.

Other than that, I live with 3 cats, a fish named Ringo, and my Helsman of a husband who really needs to get some Frau Holle in his life. (I like exploring multiple aspects of my Gods- he tends to feel more comfortable with the "
shadow"
archetypes. Some believe Frau Holle/Hela/Hel are the same Goddess- I am still not certain!)

Anyway, nice to meet you all. If you think you know who I am- you're likely correct. I have not published any books or official papers on Heathenry.... I just have a strong online presence and an unfortunate reputation that is extraordinarily polarizing. People either ask me for advice or hate me with a passion.

I prefer not being hated...like most people. Nice to meet you all! Hail/Heil/Hailsa/Sveiks!

Last edited by 80 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tyrienne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyrienne here, Hailsa!

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi! Looking forward to getting to know you. Smile
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyrienne on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:28 pm

How do I make a profile picture?! >
.<

Tyrienne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi Tyrienne, nice to meet you!
On the upper bar click on messages link. This will you get to your account settings. There ,under profile tab you find avatar where you can upload picture you wish to use. Very Happy
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyrienne on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks! I just grabbed the first picture that matched my screen name from my files. It's actually one of my (many) tattoos. Smile

Tyrienne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:14 pm

Wow, Hail Tyr! Smile
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:12 am

Welcome Tyrienne! :-)
I hope you can share some of you knowledge with us.

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyrienne on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:01 am

I'll try as much as I can- but my computer is broken at present so I am not online as much as I'd like to be!

Tyrienne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by njm on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:36 am

Hi Tyrienne
I was very interested to read your introduction. I look forward to chatting with you further.

njm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:02 pm

Hile Tyrienne! And welcome!
Still don't understand why you got hated on so badly by the association. You obviously have so much to contribute coming from a family tradition. Perhaps it's a combination of pride and laziness;
maybe they would have been required to take a fresh look at their belief structure and they just didn't want to do that. Christian Heathenry certainly fits them. More precisely,fundie Christian Heathenry. Lol!
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyrienne on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:16 pm

Z.Meister wrote:Hile Tyrienne! And welcome!
Still don't understand why you got hated on so badly by the association. You obviously have so much to contribute coming from a family tradition. Perhaps it's a combination of pride and laziness;
maybe they would have been required to take a fresh look at their belief structure and they just didn't want to do that. Christian Heathenry certainly fits them. More precisely,fundie Christian Heathenry. Lol!

That pretty much sums it up- however, on the OTHER hand- I can ALSO say that "
The Troth"
has come lightyears in Loki-acceptance. Others have not. Meh- it's interesting to watch from a safe distance.

Tyrienne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:32 pm

Yeah, The Troth seems more open-minded. I have the Troth volumes. Very interesting, very well-written, although some is pretty dry. the Troth Books included an interesting Loki article in their books.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum