Godspouse Bashing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Godspouse Bashing?

Post by Just.Christine on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:13 pm

Anyone besides me finding an alarming number of bloggers whining and whinging about godspouses? It's bad enough when the Heathen community is going to scoff at you for being Lokean, then you have Lokeans scoffing at godspouse Lokeans. And if that's not bad enough, now you have godspoused Heathens getting their bowels in an uproar that there's too many, or that it's a trend or fad.

There probably are some out there that aren't actually godspouses, but is it necessary to start policing the issue, putting out 'opinion' that sounds more like judgment?

What business is it of anyone to draw up the frickin blueprint for legitimate godspouse relationships?
Some are claiming it cheapens godspousery when people 'jump on the godspouse bandwagon'. Oh, you mean like how granting gay people the right to marry cheapens the marriage institution? Uh huh.

Shit like this just makes my butt wanna crochet! Mad
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Godspouse Bashing?

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:13 pm

"
Shit like this just makes my butt wanna crochet!"
Your expressions are hilarious, I've gotta say! Laughing

Yeah, I've seen the godspouse bashing, too. The way I see it is that the relationship is between the Gods and Their spouses. Who am I to question it? And why should an increased number of godspouses cheapen anything? Shouldn't it be one indication (out of several) that the Heathen/Norse Pagan community is growing? And isn't that a good thing?

I really don't see why people make such a stink about things like this instead of concerning themselves with their own relationships with the Gods. My great-grandma used to say, "
You'd better make sure all of your own cows are in the barn before you go worrying about your neighbor's."

The only good thing about people posting bashing comments about Lokeans and godspouses is that they clearly announce their closed-mindedness and prejudice. And then I know who not to bother with. :;
):

Yes, I'm one of Loki's godspouses. He asked, I accepted, I made a vow to Him. And if some closed-minded busybody has a problem with it, I will kindly direct their inquiry to Him. :8-):
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Corannhena on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:25 pm

Oh, my gosh, yes. I posted a [url=Super Pissed Off Ranty Rant][/url] about one such person a few months ago.
Corannhena

View user profile http://corannhena.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:08 am

I haven't seen many posts about people bashing godspouses recently. I mostly subscribe to Lokean blogs.
I know there have been some bashing of posts in the godspouse tag on Tumblr, but I haven't encountered it myself when I have posted in this tag.
When there was an influx of Lokean godspouses on Tumblr after the first "
Thor"
movie, there where a bit of whining about how people were "
jumping on the band-wagon"
Christine, where have you seen all these bloggers whining about godspouses?

I am also one of Loki's godspouses. :-)

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:03 am

I've only seen it where I would Google something that took me to an article or post. I've seen it get pretty heated and nasty, too. That's why I had reservations about starting a blog. I didn't want to open a can of worms. :?
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:51 am

My five cents: I found most godspouse bashing posts written by godspouses. LOL
But I’ve seen very little. My Tumblr account is a few weeks old. I wanted to see what is on Lokean tag there. I found only a few pictures of Loki worthy to look at.
I am also godspouse.
I don’t advertise it much, it is nobody's business. I put it under my avatar on my blog for one reason only: 

This is who am I, so be aware. If you say a word wrong about Loki I will have your head cut, put on spike, and displayed on my header with your blood smeared over it.
What anyone say about me or my practice I don’t give a flying fart, indulge yourself. Surprised

Last edited by 65 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:56 am

Darkamber wrote:I haven't seen many posts about people bashing godspouses recently. I mostly subscribe to Lokean blogs.
I know there have been some bashing of posts in the godspouse tag on Tumblr, but I haven't encountered it myself when I have posted in this tag.
When there was an influx of Lokean godspouses on Tumblr after the first "
Thor"
movie, there where a bit of whining about how people were "
jumping on the band-wagon"
Christine, where have you seen all these bloggers whining about godspouses?

I am also one of Loki's godspouses. :-)

It's like jt.insanity says, google results turn up posts from a few years ago mostly. I just got pissed because I was looking for some Odin godspouse posts and succeeded mostly in finding a string of belt-fed bullshit quacking into the void.

I'm not an Odin godspouse, not yet. More of an Odin booty call, lol. Nah. He's been a near constant feature for the past dozen or so years but I'm not aware of much of an underlying higher purpose other than companionship. I should tell thar woman who was spouting all her self-important bullcrap that godspouses/concubines like me are who Odin comes to when he gets sick of her shit and just wants to relax and go slumming, lol.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:52 am

Funnily enough, I came across an article last evening. I think it was written some time ago, but still, it was quite demeaning and derogatory towards godspouses, especially those of Loki's. Just rolled my eyes and moved onto the next article. which was described as Lokean but it seemed to be more anti-Loki than anything else. And I found it on a "
Lokean"
page. I read it right after reading that godspouse article so I may have been in a shitty frame of mind. It was one of those collaborative articles, written by several Heathens and Lokeans but it really kind of painted Him in a bad light. Left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I'll have to try and find it again so I can link it and see if it strikes anyone else the same way. Like I said, I was kind of put in a shitty mood by another article, so it may have been my personal perception coloring the words.
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:05 pm

This happened to me before I started this thread. I ran into several bashing articles in a row and ended up lashing out at the person who wrote the last one I read. I'm not terribly broken up over it since she made some valid points but undermined it by calling new or inexperienced godspouses as having a mental sock puppet or imaginary boyfriend/girlfriend.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:42 pm

Sock puppet? Imaginary? Hardly. Speaking for myself, I was solitary and solely depending on what Loki was telling me. I wanted to reach out but when I would read shit like that, I'd duck back into my hidey-hole. If more people did like you all do and would foster a more friendly and accepting atmosphere, then maybe us new and inexperienced godspouses/devotees would find it easier to connect and grow. Good on you for speaking out to that writer. I admire that as it's something I don't have the guts to do. Smile
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:25 pm

I remember that after the first "
Thor"
film in 2011, there was a big increase of new Lokeans, and Lokean godspouses. A lot of them were young women, and a lot of them were on Tumblr. Several people, even Lokeans, and godspouses, whined about these "
Tumblr wives"
and mocked them. They were called Marvel fangirls who couldn't separate the fictitious Marvel-Loki from the real Loki. They were accused of just roleplaying.

I remember there were a lot of "
fluffy"
Lokeans, which was another thing older Lokeans and other Pagans/Heathens reacted against. They said that Loki wasn't all bunnies and rainbows and sweets, that He has darker aspects, so therefore what these new people were experiencing were not real, but a result of wishful thinking, sock puppets and imaginary boyfriends. Another thing the negative people reacted against, were all the new Lokeans describing how they had daily conversations with Loki and how He liked to hang out and watch movies and stuff like that.

Loki Himself chooses how He appears to people. It's not up to mortals to decide how He should behave.
I see no reason why He can't be kind and gentle towards new Lokeans. He was that way with me during our first half year together, in 2011.
And maybe He does like to just hang out and watch movies, instead of being all business all the time.
That does not mean that I believe that every single person who called themselves Lokean after the "
Thor"
film were genuine.

If people say they came to Loki via the Marvel films, they are mocked and called Marveltru. I see no wrong if they were inspired by the films and read up on Norse mythology and found Loki that way.
I myself was inspired by a character and fanfiction about the tv series "
Supernatural"
to re-read the old Norse myths, and eventually to invite Loki into my life.
However, if someone claims that the real Loki is Thor's adoptive brother and Odin's adopted son, I will bop these Marveltru people over the head.

Darkamber
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:41 am

Yeah, I didn't really think about that. I can see how it would become irritating and in short order.
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:48 am

If you think about it, these 'Marveltru' girls aren't guilty of anything other than being embarrassing to the Heathen and/or Lokean community.

One person posted on their blog that they feel that this stuff is a threat to the survival of 'real' Heathenry. Oh really? It's my not-so-humble opinion that if Heathenry can't survive fandom and fads then it doesn't deserve to. Heathenry is made up of it's members and their collective traditions and faith. If Heathenry goes the way of the dinosaur because of the Thor movies and fangirl-ism then it's Weaksauce to begin with.

Let History decide.

The pop culture of the past is today's lore. The pop culture of today could be the lore of the future.

What if a thousand years from now [providing we haven't extinctified ourselves!] someone stumbles across the Thor movies on this 'ancient' technology of downloadable movies, watches it, finds old archives of Marveltru fangirling and thinks they're seeing evidence of an actual religious emergence? What a kick in the head, huh?
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:16 pm

I've often wondered what future archeologists would make of our time. What kinds of theories will be written about us? What arguments will be had about our primitive ways and beliefs? Will there be documentaries narrated by that era's David Attenborough? :;
):
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by erinlale on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:53 am

I've seen it, too. From non-Lokean heathens, it appears to be one part anti-geek bashing, one part misogyny, and a large sprinkling of anti-fluffbunnyism. From other Lokeans, one part anti-geek bashing, one part anti-fluffbunnyism, and a big dash of social climbing by claiming to be better than "
those"
other Lokeans. From other Lokean godspouses, one part anti-geek bashing, one part anti-fluffbunnyism, and a big old slice of "
We were here first and we're unique and rare and YOU are late to the party and too many and I don't like this band anymore now that it's popular."

What's more embarrassing than being a newbie heathen brought to heathenry by Marvel-Loki? Being a long-time, established heathen author, 25 years a Priestess of Freya, brought to Loki by Marvel-Loki. Haha. That's me.

Oh, and by the way: anti-geek bashing DOES NOT HAPPEN when the geeky interest being expressed is the same one that brought MALE heathens to heathenry, such as Lord of the Rings.

erinlale

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/erinlaleauthorpage/

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:52 pm

Very true. My personal view is that I don't really care what got you interested. Point is, you're here because you're supposed to be, whether you were called or you found your own way. (Yes, I prefer to see the good in people. Yes, it gets me hurt all the time. Yes, I can be a bit fluffy but it's who I am.) Very Happy
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:21 pm

erinlale wrote:I've seen it, too. From non-Lokean heathens, it appears to be one part anti-geek bashing, one part misogyny, and a large sprinkling of anti-fluffbunnyism. From other Lokeans, one part anti-geek bashing, one part anti-fluffbunnyism, and a big dash of social climbing by claiming to be better than "
those"
other Lokeans. From other Lokean godspouses, one part anti-geek bashing, one part anti-fluffbunnyism, and a big old slice of "
We were here first and we're unique and rare and YOU are late to the party and too many and I don't like this band anymore now that it's popular."

What's more embarrassing than being a newbie heathen brought to heathenry by Marvel-Loki? Being a long-time, established heathen author, 25 years a Priestess of Freya, brought to Loki by Marvel-Loki. Haha. That's me.

Oh, and by the way: anti-geek bashing DOES NOT HAPPEN when the geeky interest being expressed is the same one that brought MALE heathens to heathenry, such as Lord of the Rings.

Rotflmao!!
Yeah. Hey bashers! Your SCA Kingdom / RenFair is missing their village idiots! Laughing
As far as misogyny goes, sometimes I think some male heathens are just butt hurt because they were born too late and therefore cannot rape and pillage indiscriminately.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:40 pm

Speaking of ren faires, the local heathen/Norse pagan group is doing a raid on the English at our upcoming faire. Stealing their food and beer. All in good fun, of course. :;
):
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by erinlale on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Glad to see I wasn't totally out in left field there and that people appreciated my humor. Smile

There's a post about godspousery on pagansquare today. It isn't specifically about Loki spouses, but I like some of the things it says. http://www.witchesandpagans.com/pagan-p ... -what.html

erinlale

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/erinlaleauthorpage/

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:22 pm

I think perhaps being a little out in left field is kind of a requirement if you're keeping company with Loki. :;
):
I read that article as well. It was pretty good. I think the author is a godspouse of Odin.
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:52 am

Yes, Beth is a spouse of Odin.

Darkamber
Site Admin

Back to top Go down