What kind of offerings do you give the gods?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What kind of offerings do you give the gods?

Post by Darkamber on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:36 am

I only regularly give offerings to Loki.
I do it every Saturday. I choose Saturday because it hasn't got any deity connected to it, so I thought it could be Loki's day. In Norwegian, Saturday is "
lørdag"
, from the old Norse "
laugardagr"
, which means "
washing day"
I light a candle and hail Loki and say that I welcome Him into my home and into my heart.
Sometimes I light some incense, or burn fragrant oil in an oilburner.
Then I pour a shot of Fireball whisky for Him and say that this is a symbol of our friendship.
Sometimes I will offer up a bowl of sweets.

What do you do?

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What kind of offerings do you give the gods?

Post by Corannhena on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:46 pm

Basically, whatever he (and now Sigyn, who spelled to me a couple of weeks ago For offerings I love floral scents and small sweet foods) asks for. Coffee (I don't have a coffee maker so it's usually the instant flavored powdered kind) if I feel him poking at me for it when I wake up, heck sometimes even if I don't. He'll often ask for specific candy bars when I go to the store (Whatchamacallit and peanut butter Snickers are what I call his "
usuals"
), and Sigyn's requested a few types of candy as well. If my mom goes to the store and gets a candy bar for me he'll often poke at me for it :p or he'll tell me when he wants certain Starbucks drinks/snacky things. He and Sigyn also like music a lot and will request songs off Spotify (I have playlists for each of them), although they haven't done that in a while, or they like to have me read to them (I don't read "
out loud"
but I do read in my head the same way I project thoughts to them, and Loki says he can hear it and he likes it). I'll also "
share"
some of whatever I'm eating/drinking if I think he'll like it.

Also since I started offering things to him it feels weird to NOT do it... :p I'm not very formal when doing the actual offering, it's just basically "
you can have some of this [x] if you want"
Corannhena

View user profile http://corannhena.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:19 pm

I never did formal offerings because of my cats. But I always shared meals and such. We had a morning ritual of sorts with sharing coffee on the porch or a cider in the evening. And I always had to have Ho-Hos in the pantry. Sometimes He would just help Himself to them. Laughing
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:12 pm

Eyup. I hear you on the cats. I have a makeshift altar right now because space is limited. I cleared some room on the window seat and put two offering plates, two small trinket boxes where I put small, non-food offerings, a candle and my house wight's stone. It's traditionally supposed to be in the kitchen next to the stove but I don't want my son raising his brow and asking questions and/or making fun of me.

My kitty Sage likes to jump onto the altar sometimes so I'm careful about what food I put there. I don't unwrap chocolate and I don't leave it unattended. I remove it rather quickly because I don't want my kitty to get sick and die. If he nibbles on a donut or cookie, I don't mind much. Cat's are part of nature after all. Other Heathens let their pets nab food from the altar. I live in an apartment complex so it's not terribly practical for me to leave the food at the base of a tree. People might catch me and complain that I'm littering before the squirrels can get to the food. And they might not finish it. It could get messy.

I really need to get off my fat, lazy tookus and sort through the boxes in my room. I have more stuff than I have room and although I really have very little, I need to get it sorted and stored in my closet so I can set up permanent altars. And also because it's just messy and unbecoming and I sense that Loki and my wight are sort of tired of it being there. Loki hasn't outright said anything but I can deeply sense that he wont help me progress and grow until I clean up the mess. It's my current task along with working out my business with Odin that Loki pointed me to. That's also a requirement of my advancing with Loki. I have to settle up with Odin over unfinished business before I realized it was him who's been around me for the past dozen years.

And then there's the business of my own rebelliousness. I tend to have no problem doing things on my own. Once I realize it's something someone wants from me, I balk simply because someone wants me to do it. I lose desire to do it and feel controlled. Issues, blah, blah, blah...
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:23 pm

Ooh, I'm the same way! If I want to do something, ok. If I'm asked nicely to do it, ok. If I'm told I have to do it, no way. I dig in my heels and refuse to move. Drag me kicking and screaming if you must.
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by shadytrashvoid on Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:34 am

When I used to live out of home I'd share a coffee with him in the morning.

I don't do that any more since I'm living with my parents and being supported by them. I'm not paying for the coffee that goes into the machine so it doesn't feel right to make him a cup from something they paid for and brought into the house.

I prefer to go out and get things for him. Sometimes it's coffee, sometimes candy. Most of the time it's just whatever jumps out at me.

Today I got a box of sweet chilli tea. It's got cocoa, chilli, cardamom, anise, cloves and a few other spices. It seemed like something he would like.

I'm hoping to be able to move out in the next year or so. I'm looking forward to having the space to go back to my spiritual practice more openly Smile

shadytrashvoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corannhena on Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:51 am

*shrugs* For me personally, he's never seemed to mind being offered things that someone else (usually my mom) has paid for. Although he asked me for cinnamon rolls the other day and I suggested just asking my mom to get some and he's like 'no, I want you to get them', so idk I guess it depends on the thing.

(also idk if he knew this but I went to the store a day or two after he'd asked for them and they were "
buy one get one free"
, so I got two packages and I could sense his giddiness~ :3 )
Corannhena

Back to top Go down

Post by shadytrashvoid on Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:48 am

I haven't got the sense from him that he'd mind if I gave him things my parents paid for. It's more of a personal preference.

When I have the time I like the ritual of deciding what I'm giving him, going out and getting it, preparing it and giving it to him. It's all part of the offering for me. The thought, time, effort and money as well as the thing. If I didn't have the resources to do it then I know, from previous experience, he'll accept what I can offer provided it's heartfelt. I've even heard of people offering him glasses of water when they couldn't afford anything else.

The only time I've had him refuse an offering was when it wasn't heartfelt. I was rushed and just quickly gave him something I'd read he liked. It was motivated by feeling like I "
should"
be giving him something rather than feeling like I "
wanted"
to.

shadytrashvoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:31 am

Corannhena wrote:(also idk if he knew this but I went to the store a day or two after he'd asked for them and they were "
buy one get one free"
, so I got two packages and I could sense his giddiness~ :3 )
I bet so! Smile
One day, fairly early in the relationship, I passed a donut shop. (The mom-and-pop kind, not a big chain store.) I got the "
do the thing"
feeling I've seen you describe. My nose followed the scent of freshly-made donuts like a cartoon character! Smile
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Corannhena on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:38 am

Also ONE OF THESE DAYS I want to ask his opinion on Spongecakegate. (If you're unfamiliar, someone on Tumblr posted a pic of a strawberry spongecake she'd offered to Loki and it was reblogged with THAT IS NOT A PROPER OFFERING-type comments. It's pretty infamous in the Lokean community.)
Corannhena

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:34 am

In the winter I'd share a mug of hot cider with some sort of spicy herbal tea brewed in it, and we'd sit to watch some classic TV or something.
In the beginning He seemed to be curious about the things I ate. I got the sense of inquisitiveness about my life. He has an open invitation to share anything He wants, but I'll also try to "
resend"
the invitation for each meal. Sometimes I'll let a food, drink, or sweet thing sit for a moment and say "
You have first dibs."
Like you guys, I also have cats so I don't just leave things out.
Sometimes I'll burn candles or incense and pray. But I pretty much talk to Him frequently. I share memories and feelings, funny pictures and videos, music, whatever. And with the Others, too. There are pretty spring flowers outside that I wanted to bring in for Sigyn, but they are just so pretty outside that I told Her "
this is Your spot."
I'm hoping to redo the flowerbeds this year anyway, so I'll try to make a nice spot for Her.
I told Him that He can play with my toys *ahem* collectibles. (lol) The other day I showed Him all my jewelry-making supplies.
I've been buying books about Norse lore, and try to make a point of reading Lokean/heathen/history blogs and/or books as often as I can. Learning and staying involved is part of my devotion.
I make sure that His gift to me - my cat Rika - is well-taken care of and happy.
Oh and I've gotten back into exercise. I tell myself "
do it for Loki."
I feel that doing something to take care of myself is another act of devotion.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corannhena on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:00 pm

Re: Sigyn and flowers: I was walking to... I think it was Starbucks?... on my birthday two weeks ago and happened to see a bluebell growing on the side of the road, not in anyone's garden or anything and I had the thought that Sigyn might like it, so I picked it for her. She did like it a lot and spelled that I was 'always quite welcome to put bluebells* on Loki's altar' for her.

*She confirmed after I asked that this extended to other flowers as well. I want to put some lilacs on there for her, but they don't seem to be blooming yet :/
Corannhena

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:22 pm

Everything is blooming here (yeah, ah-choo) and I'm running around pressing the blooms like a madwoman. I want to make something pretty for Her (and also for my shop ideas) but if I wait until I figure out what I want to do, the blooms will have already been all spent. So, I'm pressing as many as I can! Smile
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:15 pm

I have wild violets, bugleweed (Ajuga), common periwinkle (Vinca minor), and a hellebore blooming at the moment. Lots of purple shades! Most of these blooms are small and delicate, so they really look better left in place. After hearing She likes purple/lilac/lavender, I think of Her every time I look at them and hope She enjoys it also.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:34 pm

Two new treats to discuss.
- I found a strawberry-mango pie at the local Lowes Foods deli. Ohmygods it was so good. When I shared it with Loki, I imagined U/us at like a 50s-type diner, sharing pie and a milkshake. I don't know why but I thought the image was cute, even though I am not fond of the 50s. He seemed to like the pie and the imagery.
- I love Kind bars. I found a new flavor the other day that seems like a Loki flavor - Dark Chocolate Chili Almond. Yum!

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:55 pm

Oooh, that pie sounds awesome! And that imagery is adorable! Very Happy
And dark chocolate-chili-almond?
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:37 am

Actually dark chocolate with chili is pretty tasty. you don't taste the chili so much as feel a slight bit of heat.
chocolate AND chili? How could Loki not love that? Laughing
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corannhena on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:08 am

I was actually surprised once, I bought a chili-chocolate bar from Whole Foods once and gave it (or part of it) to him and some time later I got a REALLY distinct "
take this back, I don't want it"
feeling. This was before I started using a pendulum to communicate with him, so I couldn't ask him whether he liked it or not at the time, but I did later and he said no, he hadn't liked it. (Maybe the proportions of chili to chocolate were like... wrong or something, idk) He does, however, really love Chuao Firecracker chocolate bars, but I've only been able to find those in one location here in Portland, and that place closed in November :/ so I haven't been able to get any for him since then.
Corannhena

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:58 pm

I tried Annie's Animal Crackers, but I got the impression from Loki that it was "
good for the children."
They're kinda meh and almost too sweet.

Target has been out of their brand of Dark Chocolate Himalayan Salted Almonds, so this time I looked around and found Blue Diamond Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Almonds. They have less fat and sugar, and let me tell you, it's like eating Cocoa Puffs cereal without the guilt. Yum!

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:39 pm

*ooh* I'm going to Target! Smile
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:09 pm

Today's new offering is Ghiradelli Intense Dark Raspberry Radiance chocolate bar .... mmmm.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:15 pm

Man that sounds great! Like something I'd love to eat right now if I could get me hands on it.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:29 pm

Ooh, gimme!!
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:47 am

It was on a clearance rack at Target ... I hope that doesn't mean they're not going to sell it anymore. Target is bad for having things on the clearance rack that I never see on the normal shelves. You can't fall in love with any products there 'cause they wont have it next time you go.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rjlatrans on Sat May 02, 2015 9:09 pm

OOoh Target is evil about that. /been burned before

Generally I leave water, coffee (a portion of whatever I make), and whatever I see that makes me go 'that needs to be on the altar'. For example- today, some yellow flowers I picked from my yard.

Also candles + their scent.

I also get novelty type candies for Loki (anything cute or amusing), and chocolate bars with unique flavors also feature as well.

It's all very scattered and not very organized, basically whenever I have money to spare. When inspired, I will write poetry for Loki (I have 3 poems in the works right now), and often will dedicate random things like the best portion of a dish to share or a toast before I drink my beer.

rjlatrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top