To Windows 10 or not to Windows 10?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

To Windows 10 or not to Windows 10?

Post by Just.Christine on Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:54 am

If you use Windows 7 (and like it just fine) some of you may notice a pesky upgrade notice every tine you log in to your personal profile.

For months, Microsoft has been pimping out Windows 10 upgrade for free. I tried a computer with Windows 10 and found it confusing, non-intuitive and more restrictive about the changes you can make to the program. From Windows 3.x through Windows XP, most things were transparent and easy to access, giving you more control of your experience.

I noticed that Windows 10 is leaning more toward a consumer experience, pushing cloud services pretty aggressively. What some people don't know is that "free" cloud services allow them to access and use your personal data, photos, documents, etc for their own uses. To make the programs and apps work correctly, you have to give them these permissions.

In other words, Windows 10 is becoming more like a tablet experience. Little privacy for you, many ways for them to make money off your personal data. At least this is what I've found in my uses of my android tablet. For features to work, they want access to your texts, your phone number, your contacts, your camera and microphone and more. For app features to work correctly, you have to let them. Microsoft is following this pattern.

Welcome to the electronic Akashic records. Rolling Eyes

Now if the constant Windows 10 upgrade pop up wasn't bad enough, two nights ago I got a rather unsettling notice from them: On a certain day, users of Windows 7 will be upgraded to Windows 10 automatically. They say you have 31 days to switch back and if you keep reading below this Orwellian announcement, they do tell you how to disable this automatic upgrade. Legally they can't just hijack your computer against your will, but there are no laws against being a giant bag of dicks, apparently.

Just pay close attention to those upgrade popups and be sure to disable the auto upgrade if you still love your Windows 7.

Some may like Windows 10 just fine and one day Windows 7 will go the way of XP too. They wont support it and offer updates and security fixes. Other important programs like Flash and others that run in the background will stop supporting Windows 7 too just like they did with Windows XP.

But if you'd like to hang on to Windows 7 a bit longer, disable the intrusive upgrade. I found Windows 10 to be a huge pain personally.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Windows 10 or not to Windows 10?

Post by Lokakisa on Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:43 pm

Use a Mac. ;p

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:59 am

Lokakisa wrote:Use a Mac. ;p

Too poor to buy one, lol. Wink

I tried Linux, but important programs developed under the dubious auspices of Oracle and some others no longer offer support or upgrades for Linux, a free open-source operating system.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top