Personal practice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Personal practice

Post by Darkamber on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:32 am

What is your personal practice?

My daily practise is simple.
I talk to Loki throughout the day, and when I go to bed, I tell Him about my day.

My weekly practise includes offerings.
On Saturdays – which I have chosen as Loki’s day – I light a candle on my altar, and hail and welcome Loki into my home and into my heart. I burn some incense, or put some fragrant oils on my oil burner. I pour Loki a drink and say that I give Him this drink as a symbol of our friendship. Sometimes I will also give Loki a bowl of sweets.

Three times a year I do extra offerings.
On April 1st, which many Lokeans have chosen as Loki’s day.
On August 1st – on Lughnasadh – I hold a light feast for Loki and His Family and some of His Friends. Loki once told me on August 1st that “Today is a special day”. I light candles for Loki;
Sigyn, Narvi and Vali;
Angrboda, Hel, Jormungand and Fenrir;
Odin, Thor, and Freyr. I honour these gods because I have had interactions with Them.
On December 24th – on Yule Eve – I hold another light feast for Loki, Family and Friends.

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Personal practice

Post by Just.Christine on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:37 am

Since my practice is still so new, it's pretty loose and unorganized.
As a Rosicrucian, the Edda's were brought to my attention. It's one of those things I set aside for later but never got around to.
When I saw Thor and Avengers [that's right, the movies played a part in triggering my interest. There, everyone! I said it! So what! Big deal You wanna fight about it? Laughing :mrgreen: ]
The movies reminded me I really did need to pick up the Eddas and read them as I'd intended to years ago. And in reading the Eddas I fell in love with the lore and the gods. Loki called to me strongly and for quite a few weeks I felt a great deal of antagonism toward any other god/desses.

In a fit of desperation and depression, I cleared off a space for a makeshift altar. I placed a plate and a box on it. I had no candle at the time. I was a wreck. I put poppy seeds and a xanax on his plate, prayed and cried. And slept. I asked for signs and got them. I had a UPG that verified the mechanics of 'how the heck do they receive the offerings anyhow?'
I give Loki candy [lots and lots of candy] I don't have set days. I do it when the spirit moves me.
The house wight made his presence known so he got a tray too. And a box. After an amount of time has passed that 'feels right', I put the non-food offerings into their little personal curio boxes. Loki and the house wight love trinkets and curios.
I sometimes pour some tea for them and drink with them.
I only have one ritualistic phrase I use while I pour food or drink. I tear off part of the food and say,
"
It's not what you give,
It's what you share.
The gift without the giver
Is bare."

Then I share the food with Loki and the unnamed wight.

I still need to make a permanent altar for all of them, including some space for Odin since he seems to have been lingering a long time with me. [Being a pain in my ass]
I've been blogging my Heathen experience [most of it about Odin right now]. I'll throw up a link somewhere.

I've decided to continue my studies for 'a year and a day' before actually making an oath or devotion of any sort to any of them. I've made a couple small oaths which I've kept and find it to be a very solemn practice-not to be taken lightly.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonwings on Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:11 am

So I need to do more devotional things. But lately, when I get a nudge, I think I'm more aware of it. For example, I've been trying to write every day, whether it's poetry, or my thoughts, to the gods - so far just to Loki and Sigyn, but I think I may include others eventually. This helps me get through a lot to be honest. Also, I have altars up, and portable altars (okay just two portable altars but still).

I also got a nudge to get a devotional necklace to Sigyn, and so I've ordered a custom one. Looking forward to that. It was weird though getting that nudge. Hasn't been that obvious before. Though I think it may be that because I'm more in tune with things lately. At least I hope so.

It's a bit difficult for me to practice what I believe as I'm living with my parents at the moment - but that may change in the next year.
Dragonwings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by  on Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:54 am

On Saturday,fragrant oil ,a red candle and beer (sometimes coffee or cola),candies or salty crackers.
On my birthday, August 2, i go on the hill,to Dia's grave ( Dia was my cat,died of food poisoning) and make a circle of small stones with a Kenaz rune in the middle and offer beer, a cigarette and meditate or simply cry.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:15 am

It's really hard when we lose our companion pets. I've oddly never felt much grief over the death of a relative, but when my fur dies I fall to pieces. Crying or Very sad

So I can relate so much to that.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by njm on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:19 pm

Like Poppy, I'm still pretty new to things and establishing a rhythm, but since August 2014, I have an altar set up in my library/music room with a picture, two candles and small offering bowl. I try to light the candles, hail Loki, and say a few words every night, and for special occasions, I also offer mead/port. For me special occasions are major pagan days or if something particular is happening with me personally. For example, I did him a special offering the day The Ragnarök Chronicles released.
I sometimes sing the hymn I wrote for him before bed at night and I wear my dagaz rune pendant pretty much all the time (save when I'm exercising, showering or sleeping).

njm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Solveig on Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:25 pm

I'm not the best devotee, I've never been able to hold myself to ritualised prayer and offerings. It's not out of pure laziness, I just don't get the kick in the face needed for me to do more than already.
Although, very saturday evening I pour a glass of the alcohol of choice (at the moment, it's absinth) and toast Him. That's the only ritual that I've been able to keep. That and the devotionnal snake tattoo I got done three years ago. Obviously something happened, because the amount of blood I lost that day was unreal (the tattooist's chair was caked in blood, and it's not my first tat...) Laughing

Solveig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:39 pm

Since I have the feeling I do not have to do it, I do daily offerings. It is not much, usually a cup of coffee I have when the day quiets down. Then I make 2 cups, one for each, and I light the candle. By midnight I pour His cup out. Some days I also give Him Fireball, candy, or whatever I may have. I don't like prayers but I say an improvised line or two when I lit the candle.
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:30 pm

My form of praying is just me talking to Him. Speaking to Him as if He were next to me. And in my normal, ordinary language. I don't do the formal stuff, as it's just not my style, and He knows that.
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:43 pm

I'm with you on that one j.t.insanity.m(it's rose, right?) I don't like formal speech in my prayers. If I have the mind and mood, I break off part of the food offering and eat it, saying, "
It's not what you give it's what you share. The gift without the giver is bare."

That's as formal as I get. Especially considering the intimate nature of my relatiinship with Odin. I would feel a tad ridiculous offering up formal words in private worship.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:20 pm

Yep. I do whatever comes from my heart, and I mostly just wing it. I have a cider cracked open right now that I offered to share. If He wants it, it's His. If not, then I did offer. And it's pretty yummy. :;
):
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top