"Playing with Fire" by Dagulf Loptson

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Playing with Fire" by Dagulf Loptson

Post by Lokakisa on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:29 am

I really recommend this book. I haven't agreed with it 100% but it's still enjoyable, and it'll have you nodding and laughing and thinking hard. You've seen his blog articles so it gives you an idea of what to expect. It doesn't seem to be straight copy-paste which is nice.
I may have mentioned it somewhere before, but I know Dagulf from The House of Netjer. He was one of the people I first contacted about Loki - when I started noticing Loki's name pop up in threads, I reached out to the members who were talking about Him - this was how I was led to find websites/blogs/etc. and start my Lokean journey.
I am not sure if he is an active Kemetic or not, I hardly check in with that place anymore and I haven't noticed him really talk about Egyptian beliefs anywhere. In fact I'm not sure why he became a Kemetic at all since he's been devoted to Loki since childhood. I guess it doesn't matter though.
Dagulf is really heavy on the fire connection, and also big on debunking things as Christian-influence, most especially about Balder and Ragnarok.
I was surprised to hear him talk about Angrboda as Someone humans shouldn't approach ... it's not the first time I've heard that She's intimidating and picky about Her followers, but I just thought Dagulf's view was a bit extreme. He has neat things to say about Laufey, Hoenir, and Sigyn though. The part on Fenrir is interesting, and he quotes an experience from another devotee, yet there doesn't seem to be a reference to Fenrir (or Jormungandr) appearing human to some people.
It's a meaty book yet as I said in another thread, I think once Lokeans get ahold of it we should send him comments and suggestions for a revised edition.
I haven't finished it yet, and I almost fell like I need to read it again to let it all sink in!

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Playing with Fire" by Dagulf Loptson

Post by Nynx on Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:00 pm

I'll second that! it's an awesome book ^^
Nynx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corannhena on Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:02 am

I'd like to read it myself. I'd prefer the print version, which is like $20 on Lulu, though, so I'd need to wait to get it as I'm short on $ right now :/ (I'd probably be able to get it after we move)
Corannhena

View user profile http://corannhena.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:12 pm

Let me know what he says about Fen. (I'm picky about what's written about Him. Same with Loki.) But Angrboda shouldn't be approached by humans? Um, ok... I know Her brand isn't for everyone, but of someone feels called to Her, there's probably a reason for it. She isn't going to smush you if you're not going to mesh well with Her. She's more likely, in my experience, to just move along. She's busy with far better things to do than make someone's life miserable.
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:14 pm

Oh what he says about Fen is positive. He just doesn't get into the experiences some people have, seeing Him and Jormy as human. I don't think he really works with Him, since he quotes from another devotee.
Actually Corannhena has the right idea about getting a print copy. I have it as an ebook and don't know how to flip quickly to what I want to see.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:39 pm

Yeah, I don't like that about e-books. They aren't flippable-throughable. :/
Okay, as long as he isn't giving Fen the Jotunbok treatment. That crap pissed me off. I have read one other of Kaldera's books and I rather enjoyed it. Just finished Talking To The Spirits. He and Kenaz Filan wrote about relationships with spirits and Gods, discernment, divination, and the like. I wish I'd known about it and read it a year and a half ago. Might've spared me a whole lot of pain.
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:04 pm

Ooh, that sounds interesting. Start a new thread!

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top