Last edited by Darkamber on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What is your opinion on Ragnarok?

Post by Darkamber on Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:20 am

Personally I think it's a metaphor, perhaps about the old gods loosing to Christianity.

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Corannhena on Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:26 am

"It's a metaphor" was the closest to my opinion, based on what Loki's told me, that it isn't going to happen.
Corannhena

View user profile http://corannhena.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:31 pm

The closest I could arrive at is prophecy. The potential for its occurance is always there but beings of free will can navigate workarounds so that it need not ever happen.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:32 am

Ooh, I have a big conspiracy theory about the whole prophecy. I may have mentioned it already, but here's a recap. I think the prophecy was coerced out of the seeress. I think there was a reason why Loki and His children needed to be out of the picture for a while. They're all very powerful, and if They were all allowed to intervene in whatever plan was brewing, Their involvement could have turned the tide in a totally different direction than "Someone" (I don't know who) intended. In order for the plan (whatever it was) to work, They needed to be unable to intervene. This is just something that keeps bubbling up in my mind. It's nothing that's really been directly given to me by Loki or Fen, but it's a recurring thought. It could be something, or not. At any rate, yes, I know it sounds pretty tin-foil-hat-ish.
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:08 pm

I said somewhere once before, Ragnarok may be just a prophecy and so this is how I vote.

I have powerful UPG on Ragnarok. I may have mention it once, but never to the extend of its impact on me.
Shortly after Loki and I were married,  I had a dream or a vision of Him fighting in Ragnarok.
This was the instant  note I made back then about it:

08.25. Monday - New Moon - A Dream or a Vision
Loki was only a little around here, the day was busy. I tried to put together some information about runes, and was very tired at the moment. While time to time perhaps falling asleep, I got clear visions of Loki fighting in time of Ragnarök. It was dark battle where were no sides, every one fought for himself. Loki was wearing red clothes similar to those Arthur Rackham portrayed Him in. He was skinny and very tall, Ettin like, mighty and moving with incredible speed, but without a hope to win. It was in His eyes, sadness of knowing, and yet He went through the battle field like cleaving blade.  There was no end to that battle. There were no sides, only the fight where everyone was everyone’s enemy. The vision past and repeated itself in the course of the day, as it did not go from my mind.

Much much later on I asked Loki about this. His said this may not at all, but could, happen. Ragnarok is not about Giants against Aesir. There are no sides in Ragnarok. Ragnarok is the chaos after everyone becomes everyone's enemy.

The emotions from this vision are strong and present within me until this day.
I am on the fence if to write this or not, but, well, it is out now. And so, yes, I see it as prophecy which may never happen.

I'm fully aware it is only my UPG and others have different ones, and thanks god (Loki!) for it!
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:37 am

You know what, I have no idea.
I've heard it's a cycle, it happens over and over. Loki is the agent of change to ensure out with the old crap, in with the new world. That means each time there is a new Loki, Odin, etc. Kinda weird to wrap your head around. Does Balder stay the same? How do the gods rebirth themselves? *scratches head*
Sometimes I think it's another one of those doomsday predictions that many cultures have. Maybe just a human trait to give warnings about what could happen, so in that case, a metaphor.
Considering the path humans are on, it's certainly a possibility. Humans will bring about their own Ragnarok. Or our sun will blow up. Whatever comes first.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corannhena on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Hm, I dunno. I don't believe that the Loki I interact with is a "different" Loki than the one that stole Iduna's apples, got all the gods neat stuff, cut Sif's hair, killed Baldur (or helped to), was in the cave, etc, in the lore. I don't believe he's not the same Loki/Loptr as the Loptr that was one of the three creator gods (I even asked him about this and he told me yes, he is in fact Loptr. There is the possibility of him trolling, of course, but I don't think he was).
Corannhena

View user profile http://corannhena.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:34 am

Yeah, I know what you mean, it doesn't seem right to say He (or any of Them) aren't the same, or just recycled versions of Themselves. I can't for the life of me remember where I read that theory.
A better theory that I recently read is that Ragnarok was influenced by Christianity and has very little basis in Norse belief at all. Now THAT I support. I mean think about it, it all leads into equating Loki with the Devil.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:39 pm

journeyintoinsanity wrote:Ooh, I have a big conspiracy theory about the whole prophecy.  I may have mentioned it already, but here's a recap.  I think the prophecy was coerced out of the seeress.  I think there was a reason why Loki and His children needed to be out of the picture for a while.  They're all very powerful, and if They were all allowed to intervene in whatever plan was brewing, Their involvement could have turned the tide in a totally different direction than "Someone" (I don't know who) intended.  In order for the plan (whatever it was) to work, They needed to be unable to intervene.  This is just something that keeps bubbling up in my mind.  It's nothing that's really been directly given to me by Loki or Fen, but it's a recurring thought.  It could be something, or not.  At any rate, yes, I know it sounds pretty tin-foil-hat-ish.  

Everypony! Put on your metal collanders and tinfoil hats! Laughing
It never hurts to be a little paranoid
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:47 pm

Odin.Chris wrote:Everypony! Put on your metal collanders and tinfoil hats! Laughing
It never hurts to be a little paranoid
Ha ha!!  Right?  XD
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Elvena on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:11 pm

I mostly feel like it's a metaphor, but also that it's actually a bit of everything.

journeyintoinsanity wrote:Ooh, I have a big conspiracy theory about the whole prophecy.  I may have mentioned it already, but here's a recap.  I think the prophecy was coerced out of the seeress.  I think there was a reason why Loki and His children needed to be out of the picture for a while.  They're all very powerful, and if They were all allowed to intervene in whatever plan was brewing, Their involvement could have turned the tide in a totally different direction than "Someone" (I don't know who) intended.  In order for the plan (whatever it was) to work, They needed to be unable to intervene.  This is just something that keeps bubbling up in my mind.  It's nothing that's really been directly given to me by Loki or Fen, but it's a recurring thought.  It could be something, or not.  At any rate, yes, I know it sounds pretty tin-foil-hat-ish.  

This theory makes sense!
Elvena

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bsa on Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:59 pm

Hmm, if I ignore the general snorri related problems, I go to another example with managarm, eating the moon and splattering the sky with blood and several years following having unsteady weather, watch a blood moon happen and it sounds about right, look at ragnarok as a generalised cyclical ending story, adapted a bit by snorri with some rather odd insertions which read a bit more continental Latin school of thought than older stories, so I go for general cyclical story with a few snorri changes thrown in.

bsa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonwings on Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:11 am

I think it's a metaphor like others have said. I think that what bsa said is interesting and could be it as well. Lots to think about.
Dragonwings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:03 am

I can agree with that also.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 333lulu on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:22 pm

I know I'm late to the party here but,my opinion,for what it's worth, is that it's a metaphor for the sometimes painful and violent changes constantly taking place both in our individual lives as well as on a global level.

333lulu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top