the Icelandic tempel

View previous topic View next topic Go down

the Icelandic tempel

Post by Nynx on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:43 am

Hey guy have you seen the news about the new norse tempel,
first i thought it looked awesome and i was happy that it was going to exist.
But then i read some artikels about it, and dicoverd that they do not believe in norse mytholigy at all, even going so far as to say stuff like "I don't believe anyone believes in a one-eyed man who is riding about on a horse with eight feet," said Hilmar Orn Hilmarsson, high priest of 'Asatruarfelagid

now i don't know how i feel about this, is it disrespektful, should i just be happy there's gonna be norse tempel ?
here is the link, what do you guys think?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/iceland/11385603/Iceland-to-build-first-temple-to-Norse-gods-in-1000-years.html
Nynx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: the Icelandic tempel

Post by Just.Christine on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:54 am

I remember reading that quote. I'm sure that's probably just a statement for the public. Who knows what they truly believe? I'm sure belief varies from person to person. They would probably rather be viewed by the public as more progressive and Jungian in their views.

Not that I say they're progressive, I just mean it in the sense of modern usage of the word. Remember that this comes from a country who's building contractors still hire people to come talk to land wights to gain cooperation and blessing to develop a piece of land in the case where equipment malfunctioning is too prevalent to just be coincidence.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nynx on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:06 am

i guss that makes sense, and yearh who knows what the really believe. the way it was formulated just struck me as odd.

interesting, then the spirituality is not gone after all Smile
Nynx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by njm on Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Perhaps the statement was taken out of context as well. I don't read it as him not believing.
I was in Reykjavik in September and went to Perlan, which is near where the temple is going up. My Icelandic friend was with me, but when I asked about the site, she said there wasn't much to see yet as they were only just starting the building work.

njm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nynx on Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:45 pm

^^ i hope you are right :3

we'll just have to wait and see Very Happy
Nynx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:16 am

Nynx wrote:Hey guy have you seen the news about the new norse tempel,

I thought it was awesome, too! I hope that they will allow foreign Heathens to visit the temple.

Nynx wrote:But then i read some artikels about it, and dicoverd that they do not believe in norse mytholigy at all, even going so far as to say stuff like "I don't believe anyone believes in a one-eyed man who is riding about on a horse with eight feet," said Hilmar Orn Hilmarsson, high priest of 'Asatruarfelagid.

I do hope this quote is taken out of context, because it is sad if the high priest doesn't believe that the old gods are real.

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:47 am

Nynx wrote:.....quote: "I don't believe anyone believes in a one-eyed man who is riding about on a horse with eight feet," said Hilmar Orn Hilmarsson, high priest of 'Asatruarfelagid.

It doesn't make sense, and I think the translation, and out of context is to blame.
'Asatruarfelagid', is said to be an association that promotes faith in the Norse gods.
Who should then believe in Odin, if Astaruar high priest doesn't not, and why they then would build the temple to worship, then?

Also, a high priest would not call Odin one-eyed man. My best bet is, He wanted to say people now days don't see Odin as one-eyed person on eight legged horse.
To say Sleipnir has eight feet instead of legs points to very free or poor translation by someone who is not informed.  

As Darkamber said it would be sad if the high priest doesn't believe that the old gods are real.
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:55 pm

I know.  It sounds like limping on two different opinions.  Or lukewarmness.  I believe the Gods are individual, living entities.  What form they take, who can say for sure.  I wish he would have said what he does believe, then.  Odin's one eye is central to the entire belief system.  Same with Sleipners eight legs.  Just because they're archetypes doesn't mean they aren't "real"

Even the name of the Tree, Yggdrasil, means Odin's Steed.  A thing he rode for 9 days.  Or did it ride him?  One could argue that Sleipners could have a close and significant connection to Yggdrasil.  Sure, there's nine world's and not eight, but Odin hung FROM one of those world's(one world is the seat the rest are legs or perhaps the roots are the legs and the Tree above is the seat?)
and rode the rest (or they carried him )as well until he came to know everything.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:27 am

Darkamber wrote:
Nynx wrote:Hey guy have you seen the news about the new norse tempel,

I thought it was awesome, too! I hope that they will allow foreign Heathens to visit the temple.

Nynx wrote:But then i read some artikels about it, and dicoverd that they do not believe in norse mytholigy at all, even going so far as to say stuff like "I don't believe anyone believes in a one-eyed man who is riding about on a horse with eight feet," said Hilmar Orn Hilmarsson, high priest of 'Asatruarfelagid.

I do hope this quote is taken out of context, because it is sad if the high priest doesn't believe that the old gods are real.
Maybe the guy was being sarcastic? If he believes that noone believes, then why build the temple in the first place? As I've learned from Loki, sometimes humor doesn't translate well.
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:17 am

I was just excited to hear that they are building it, and that people still carry on old traditions, something that has been lost here in America.
I'm not particularly concerned about that quote, otherwise why build it in the first place? Clearly they are embracing history and folklore.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top