Diana Paxson's books

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Diana Paxson's books

Post by Lokakisa on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:26 pm

So I was looking at all her books on Amazon. Let's talk about which ones we've read!
Poppy suggested I get the one about divine possession, then I saw she also has one on trance states and one on oracles, and one on runes too.
Is there like an order to them, which to read first?
Do you like/agree with her stuff?

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana Paxson's books

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:18 pm

I haven't read any yet, but I'd like to. I just started volva/seidhr training with a volva lady. If anyone's interested in that, I can start posting the material she sends me. Smile
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:58 pm

I don't know if there's anything secretive about it (like the way some bloggers act), but has she said it's okay to share info?
Where did she get her training? What sources does she recommend? What kind of preparation is involved, to see if you have the skills for spae-craft?

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:25 pm

I looked up the order her books were published. I don't know if this really reflects the reading order.
- Runes
- Asatru
- Trance
- Oracle
- Possession

Yes I was lazy with the book titles, lol.
I can't tell from the reviews that any info is repeated/condensed/updated or what goes first or whatever.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by erinlale on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:56 pm

Just be aware the system she teaches is not the only system one could use, and might be different from what you already do.

erinlale

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/erinlaleauthorpage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:53 am

Yeah, and I noticed all the negative reviews.
Poppy/Odin.Chris had suggested the possession book might be helpful for me to connect with Loki though.
Man I was looking all over Amazon yesterday for related things, you know how sometimes in reviews people will mention other books.
I just don't know what to do! I don't think I really have a "
system"
at this point.
Hence starting this thread to get some feedback.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:24 pm

The lady that's teaching us is Kari Tauring. Her techniques seem pretty interesting. So, maybe I wouldn't copy/paste the material, but just give some generalized "
Hey this is cool"
kind of stuff. Tips and pointers that I learn? Here's a link to her website. [url:2by4at3l]http:
//karitauring.
com/[/url:2by4at3l]
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:17 pm

Thanks! The runes app looks interesting. I'm looking over the other stuff too.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:52 pm

I can't really do much right now, with the Stuff happening right now. So I'm reading til my eyes cross!
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonwings on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Got the rune app. Looks very interesting. Smile
Dragonwings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:51 am

I am in the middle of "
Taking Up The Runes"
by Dianna Paxton.
She recommends to study in the group and do the group work. I admit one learns from others better and faster than alone, but not everyone has that option.
Her rune summary, she does it in pairs like Fehu and Uruz, Thurisaz and Ansuz and so on, is good, but not much her own work.
She quotes the Eddas, includes the Old Norse, Anglo-Saxon and Icelandic runic verses in original and translated, and quotes rune works of other authors. Paxton always gives a credit, but picks well what to quote. In other words she choose what she skips creating this way her unsaid preference. That is only personal approach I noticed there. All else  is work of others. I did not learned one new thing  about the runes from her, because I read much of her sources beforehand.

I think her worth must be in the other half of the book then, where are rituals, invocations and spells. I did not get to that part yet.

EDITED:
The forum nearly doesn't exist, but still, I feel I owe to say this:

I've read bunch of stuff on runes, good, bad, and in between, most of it on line.
Looking back what I've wrote nearly year ago I was too critical, or full of myself. (Not for the first time, I guess)

I got to read Diana Paxon's book recently again, and I have to say it is good book and worthy to have and dab in it a few times, or as needed.
She is not fancy but she does make sense. She uses the other sources, but who doesn't.
I cannot say much about the rituals, as I was never present at any, I think she is good, but I shouldn't try putting my foot in the mouth again.
Altogether I like her book better than Edred Thorsson's Hanbook of Rune Magic, who is one of her quoted resources, and I would not say this year ago!
We all evolve.
Today I have to say I like her Taking up the Runes, a lot, and recommend to whoever wants to read it.

Last edited by Moon Rouge on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Thanks for that review! Let us know how you like the rest of it when you get around to it.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top