Just curious...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just curious...

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Can anyone else smell water? Whether rain, a garden hose, a natural body of water, or just someone running the tap in the kitchen. Just curious. I've been able to for as long as I can remember, but does anybody else smell it? Or is that just weird?
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Just curious...

Post by DayhawK68 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:01 pm

Yeah water has a smell. Also has an energy feel. Like river water smells different than sea water and tap water smells different from hose water.

DayhawK68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:27 am

journeyintoinsanity wrote:Can anyone else smell water? Whether rain, a garden hose, a natural body of water, or just someone running the tap in the kitchen. Just curious. I've been able to for as long as I can remember, but does anybody else smell it? Or is that just weird?

DayhawK68 wrote:Yeah water has a smell. Also has an energy feel. Like river water smells different than sea water and tap water smells different from hose water.
Same here, there are very noticeable differences, even between two tap water sources.
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:04 am

Good, then I'm not the only one. Nor has my brain been making stuff up all these years. Smile
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by erinlale on Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:27 pm

I can, but I live in a desert and I was born in a desert. And I have a good sense of smell generally. (Like, I can walk in the house and say "
Oh, you're cooking corn."
Because I can smell it.)

erinlale

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/erinlaleauthorpage/

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:56 pm

Yeah, I have a sensitive sniffer as well. I can smell stuff when nobody else can. My uncle and brother are the same way.
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:09 pm

journeyintoinsanity wrote:Can anyone else smell water? Whether rain, a garden hose, a natural body of water, or just someone running the tap in the kitchen. Just curious. I've been able to for as long as I can remember, but does anybody else smell it? Or is that just weird?

If you can smell water, it's probably contaminated with something. Should be colorless, mostly tasteless and odorless. But I can smell water when I'm near the ocean, a lake, or river. Still, it's not the actual water but rather the thinfs living and growing in them like plants, fish, and rocks.

Or in the case of fawcet and hose water: rubber, chlorine and fluoride.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by erinlale on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:00 am

I've seen some meme on Facebook saying the word "
petrichor"
is the word for the smell of rain, but it actually means something more specific:

petrichor/ˈpɛtrɪkɔ/ (say 'petrikaw)
noun a mixture of natural oils and terpenes released by eucalypts which, when washed by rain into watercourses, is a signal to fish, invertebrates, etc., that the season is sufficiently wet to support breeding.
[Greek petros stone + ichor fluid;
coined by Australian geochemists Richard Grenfell Thomas and Isabel Joy Bear in 1964]

So, as far as I can tell there isn't really a word that means "
the smell of water."
But apparently enough people can smell it that they made a meme of it.

erinlale

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/erinlaleauthorpage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:31 am

I agree the pure water has no smell, it shouldn't have. We never get pure water, H2O is only in the books or in lab. Some people's nose may detect the smallest amount of additives, while others not.
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Yeah, definitely. I can smell chlorine in tap water or sulphur from well water. But there's this smell that the only way I can describe it is "
wet."
It smells wet.
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by heathir on Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:54 pm

Yes, I can. Water definitely has a scent. Rainwater, ocean water, pond water...each type has a different scent to me. Even snow has different smells - melted snow (or rather, snow fast-melting/half-melted that has been 'heated' by the sun, for example) smells a tiny bit different than snow that is not melting as fast. I don't know how to explain it.
But growing up, my siblings used to tease me, saying that my keen sense of smell things must mean that I was a dog in another life...or something.
(Though, I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only one who can smell water...)

heathir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:29 pm

Wow...just read my earlier reply. What a wet blanket I can be! Sheesh!
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:48 pm

heathir wrote:Yes, I can.  Water definitely has a scent.  Rainwater, ocean water, pond water...each type has a different scent to me.  Even snow has different smells - melted snow (or rather, snow fast-melting/half-melted that has been 'heated' by the sun, for example) smells a tiny bit different than snow that is not melting as fast.  I don't know how to explain it.
But growing up, my siblings used to tease me, saying that my keen sense of smell things must mean that I was a dog in another life...or something.
(Though, I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only one who can smell water...)

I love the smell of snow. It's so clean and fresh. And yes, it does smell different when it's melting! Very Happy
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:50 pm

Odin.Chris wrote:Wow...just read my earlier reply.  What a wet blanket I can be! Sheesh!
Aw, you're fine! Seriously, tap water does smell very chlorine-ish. And bottled water smells of plastic. And we're drinking that crap? Yuck! XP
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:03 pm

journeyintoinsanity wrote:
Odin.Chris wrote:Wow...just read my earlier reply.  What a wet blanket I can be! Sheesh!
Aw, you're fine!  Seriously, tap water does smell very chlorine-ish.  And bottled water smells of plastic.  And we're drinking that crap?  Yuck!  XP

Well, actually I can differentiate between snow, rain, ocean, river, creek. I can't smell running tap water though. I can smell it when its in a glass. And water that's sat all day and night? Narsty!
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top