Kaldera's view of the alfar

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Kaldera's view of the alfar

Post by erinlale on Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:50 am

The line between different types of beings was fuzzy to the ancient heathens. We modern people like taxonomy. The ancient people were more comfortable with mystery and paradox than most moderns are.

Elf/ the dead (elf mound / grave mound.)

Afterlife in a god's hall (Valhalla) / afterlife in the grave mound (lore descriptions of these two were virtually identical.)

God / jotun (What is Sif exactly? It never says. Modern people would have mentioned her species because it's important to us. Some modern people say she is Aesir-- I think so-- some say Jotun, some say Vanir.)

God / totem spirit (is that bear Odin or is it your spirit animal? To the ancient bersarkrs, there was no difference at all.)

erinlale

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/erinlaleauthorpage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:12 pm

A lot of this I also didn't know.

erinlale wrote: The ancient people were more comfortable with mystery and paradox than most moderns are.

I think this is it!
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:18 pm

That's very true. Modern folks like to understand everything and the reasons why something is the way it is. Myself included. I have a hard time accepting something if I don't fully understand it.
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:23 am

erinlale wrote:The line between different types of beings was fuzzy to the ancient heathens. We modern people like taxonomy. The ancient people were more comfortable with mystery and paradox than most moderns are.

Elf/ the dead (elf mound / grave mound.)

Afterlife in a god's hall (Valhalla) / afterlife in the grave mound (lore descriptions of these two were virtually identical.)

God / jotun (What is Sif exactly? It never says. Modern people would have mentioned her species because it's important to us. Some modern people say she is Aesir-- I think so-- some say Jotun, some say Vanir.)

God / totem spirit (is that bear Odin or is it your spirit animal? To the ancient bersarkrs, there was no difference at all.)

I agree. We compartmentalize everything. Whereas if you have a patron god or spirit, you can pretty much pray to Them for anything, regardless of Their "
domain."

I've also read that about the words being interchangeable even back then, and certainly over the centuries. Most of us just didn't have the luxury of being brought up with that knowledge, any of it, at all. We like to figure out who They are and where They're from to get a better idea of what They're all about.
We like to analyze things to death to make sure we're "
doing it right."

I guess the most important thing is figuring out whether you're dealing with something friendly or not, and being hospitable and respectful in general.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:12 am

Yes! And I'm one of the worst about analyzing something to death! Sometimes to the point of zapping all the fun and/or mystery out of it. :/
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:04 pm

Lokakisa wrote:Is it okay to offer the porridge/oatmeal/hot cereal up high so I can keep my cats out of it?
Does it matter if wight-offerings are done inside or outside? Or does being outside automatically refer to the land-spirits?

I put my Wight's offerings on the altar.
Another tidbit of info: a grapefruit sized stone was!oftentimes kept by the hearth for the Wight's 'home.'. Nowadays you can put this stone nestled!somewhere next to the stove. I can't do that without drawing unwanted attention in the house so for now I just keep it with the rest of my stuff.
I can't wait to have a place to myself again. I miss having an altar and making offerings on the altar
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top