Kaldera's view of the alfar

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kaldera's view of the alfar

Post by Lokakisa on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:47 pm

Well I can't seem to shake an obsession with learning about spirit guides and wights and alfar, so I was browsing around and found this: http://www.northernshamanism.org/the-al ... -dark.html
Like many well-known pagans, there have been negative things said about Raven Kaldera so I don't know what to think of him. But I wanted to share the info in case anyone was interested.

I honestly don't know if there is any point in me seeking out the alfar. At least I can educate myself though for the history-nerd in me.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kaldera's view of the alfar

Post by DayhawK68 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:07 am

It's interesting that they mention that they are cousins to the Fae. I mean close enough. In relation they're more like wolves and foxes. Under a branch but at the same time reaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly different.

DayhawK68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:14 am

That was interesting. Smile
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:06 am

I recommend The Troth books to anyone whom wants a good, solid education about these things. The Troth was written and compiled by many people who were involved in the Heathen revival. It's heavily researched and scholarly and has a lot of actual references.

The alfar are the male ancestors who look after you. My father in law often provides me with inspiration and wise thoughts. I consider him one of the alfar.

Wights are like land spirits. I have a house wight. When you lose shit down the back of the couch and never see it again? House wight. Socks that go missing from the dryer. Housewight. Key missing? You look all over, turn the house upside down and then find them the first place you looked? Housewight! You can put porriage out for an offering with a pat of butter on top. I give mine a lot of the same stuff Loki and Odin get. I make sure he gets equal sized portions or he gets upset.

Traditionally you give them porridge and some gray cloth for Yule. Thursdays are their day off so don't be noisy Thursday evenings.

According to lore, you give them clothing at your own risk. They might think they're too fancy to be a house Wight and leave.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:25 am

Master gave Dobby a sock? Smile
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:37 am

Ha, you Harry Potter nerd. ;
p

The Troth books are next on my wishlist to get.

I've read that too, not only in this article but other articles/books, about alfar being the male version of disir.
Interestingly, when Beth was still doing readings I had her look into my disir, and she had male energies pop up also. And some reference to "
bird spirits of Asgard"
that I was never able to get an answer about.

I think there's a little bit of both human and non-human beings. There's so much cross-over with nature spirits and mound dwellers and fae that it seems up to each person's own beliefs. And maybe too it depends on whether you interact with them in this realm or another as to Who you might meet? Like those who are connected to local places versus those who don't really travel out of Ljossaflheim or whatever ...
In prayer I just try to hail "
ancestors and spirits"
to hopefully cover all the bases (including the fact that we are living on "
foreign"
soil and Native American land with its own spirits), until such time as Someone comes forth to introduce themselves.

I have no clue what porridge is. ;
p Is it like oatmeal? I'm real picky about oatmeal but sometimes I'll eat hot cereal-type things in cold weather. Anyway I'll be thinking about how to make some offerings to the local wight(s). When I throw stuff out for the birds or to be composted, I consider it sort of an offering to the nature spirits, giving back to the land, recycling, taking care of my garden naturally, etc. It'd be neat to do something special for Yule as a gift.

As many of you know, I got caught up in Seb's "
sacred fiction,"
and I was excited at the prospect of not only reviving an old practice of working with spirits that many of us in the New World were not taught about (who lives on their family homestead anymore? or lives near family gravesites? or has a sacred rock or well or tree on their property? not to mention the Bible-bashing of anything spirit-related, it's a wonder I was even allowed to participate in Halloween), but also to have a close friend/guide that could be here when Loki couldn't be.
I talk/pray to Loki frequently each day, but He can only do so much or be around so much when He has so many devotees now and other things to do, and I don't even know when He's here and when He isn't. A friendly spirit who could help me with magic and herbs and what not would be pretty cool to have, I guess, dunno if I'd know when they were around either, and maybe could take some load off Loki ... but I dunno how it all works, really. I pray/talk to a few other gods too to put some feelers out there about what I'm searching for. I read something recently that made it sound as if Gerda is good for hedgewitchy-types to talk to. Freyja and Angrboda would be good for helping with female power, confidence, and magic. And on and on.
I just got caught up with other people's experiences and wanted to have that "
personal spirit friend"
too. Even if Loki sends out pieces of Himself to be with each devotee, most people's UPG seems to indicate that He has His own emotional ups and downs, and busy times, and that He can't be everywhere at once.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:32 pm

journeyintoinsanity wrote:Master gave Dobby a sock? Smile

Exactly. I guess Rowling got the idea from the lore.
Wights can be helpful if they like you. I think the English version of these are the Brownies.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:42 pm

I think porridge is a mix of oatmeal and farina wheat cereal. I like mine with butter, sugar and some half and half. My mon used to make my hot cereal with milk instead of water and it tastes really rich but milk is way too expensive to use for making hot cereal.

My House Wight has an English sounding name so I suspect he's ancestral. He's certainly not a native.

I wasn't allowed to celebrate any of the holidays because we were JDubs.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:32 pm

Porridge. My English in-laws call oatmeal "
porridge."
I don't know if there's any real difference between the two.

I don't have any experience with wights or anything. But I wonder the same thing. When we interact with nature spirits, they're the ones that have been here all along. Are they all the same 'species' but with different names? Kind of like the word for 'woman' is different in other languages, but means the same? *shrug*

And YES I'm a Potter nerd. I'm even going to the Wizards Ball in November, dressed as Professor Trelawny. XD
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:58 pm

Porridge to what I remember is farina here. Back in Europe the flour had 3 type of girding, fine, for sauces, medium for some dumplings and stuff and and rough which would be good as porridge.
We cooked it in milk, you had to whisk it really fast, while it was boiling, and it was served sprinkled rich with cinnamon and sugar (or real cocoa powder, half and half for those who couldn't make up their mind) and with melted butter on the top. You eat it hot in the fashion going in a spiral round the plate, as the edge was cooler and the butter dripped down over the edge.
Well some pigs took the spoon and brutally mixed it, but it was not the way!
There was also rice porridge with cinnamon, sugar and butter, not the rice pudding, it was porridge made from rice.
Ha and also one from barley I think, but that would be served salty with sausage.
Oatmeal was oatmeal. Actually, now I think there was oat porridge too.
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:08 pm

I lost silver ring in depts of sofa, and never found it, not even when the sofa went out of the house, and I took the bottom cloth off, to look for it!
Recently I am missing my mortal spouse's one black sock, and one pair of my undies! Surprised
I never thought we have a house wight. It must be Loki. (What is He doing with my DH's one sock!?) Evil or Very Mad
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:13 pm

What's He doing with the sock, you ask. And this image pops into my mind! Remember this??? Laughing
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by DayhawK68 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:48 pm

journeyintoinsanity wrote:What's He doing with the sock, you ask. And this image pops into my mind! Remember this??? Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

DayhawK68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:08 am

OMG! A cock sock! >
<

You know you mention missing underwear and it makes me think of Odin, like he would be an underwear thief. Out of the hamper not the drawers. >
<
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:47 am

journeyintoinsanity wrote: Remember this??? Laughing
No, I don't! Surprised
I remember them being sockless, but the pictures were much smaller! Laughing

Poppy.Meister wrote:OMG! A cock sock! >
<

You know you mention missing underwear and it makes me think of Odin, like he would be an underwear thief. Out of the hamper not the drawers. >
<
It is not gone from the drawer, we have hamper too.... Allfather ? No comment, I would have to say a few! Embarassed

I get very rarely a glimpse of Odin. We keep mutual respectful distance. Odin presented Himself with a song sandwiched in in Loki's medley recently. I know how it feels when Loki plays.. and I ask questions if something doesn't fit.....
Anyway, the song Odin came up with was The Jethro Tull's Steel Monkey : .......Can you guess my name? Can you guess my trade?
You can google the lyrics or the song. Steel monkey is other name for scaffolding, but this song lyrics are very fitting for Odin.
I was a little worry, luckily it was only single incident. Odin likes to spook me, I guess, to I don't have it too easy.
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:47 am

My undies have never gone missing, but other things have. Like index cards with notes on them that I need at the moment. I think it may have been a hint to get better organized. :;
):
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:56 pm

MoonRouge wrote:Anyway, the song Odin came up with was The Jethro Tull's Steel Monkey : .......Can you guess my name? Can you guess my trade?
You can google the lyrics or the song. Steel monkey is other name for scaffolding, but this song lyrics are very fitting for Odin.
I was a little worry, luckily it was only single incident. Odin likes to spook me, I guess, to I don't have it too easy.

That sounds about right. He seems to enjoy presenting as creepy and enigmatic. Once you get to know him better he doesn't do that so much.

He's never actually nabbed my undies, I just thought it sounded like something he would do. Loki would probably do it too, if they fit. Lol
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:58 pm

journeyintoinsanity wrote:My undies have never gone missing, but other things have. Like index cards with notes on them that I need at the moment. I think it may have been a hint to get better organized. :;
):

I tried an index card system once. I found that those day runners worked best for me until I turned into an OCD nazi. I'm extremely extreme, lol. Feast or famine.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Poppy.Meister wrote:I tried an index card system once. I found that those day runners worked best for me until I turned into an OCD nazi. I'm extremely extreme, lol. Feast or famine.
I use the index cards for my gemstone beads. Makes it easier when I make my jewelry. Smile
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:58 am

In Norway we have the traditional Yule oat porridge. It's cooked in milk and traditionally served with sugar and cinnamon sprinkled on top, and a butter "
eye"
A "
new"
tradition is to put a shell-less almond in the porridge, and the one who gets the almond wins a small marzipan pig.

On farms they used to put a bowl of Yule porridge out in the barn for the "
fjøsnisse"
, a spirit that looked after the animals on the farm.
I think they put out a bowl of porridge for the "
husnisse"
, too. That was like a house wight.

The term "
alfar"
can be confusing. It's both the name of the male ancestors, and the Norse elves.
We have ljosalfar (light elves) and dokkalfar (dark elves).

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:19 am

Is it okay to offer the porridge/oatmeal/hot cereal up high so I can keep my cats out of it?
Does it matter if wight-offerings are done inside or outside? Or does being outside automatically refer to the land-spirits?

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:52 am

Lokakisa wrote:Is it okay to offer the porridge/oatmeal/hot cereal up high so I can keep my cats out of it?
Does it matter if wight-offerings are done inside or outside? Or does being outside automatically refer to the land-spirits?

It's ok to leave the offerings up high if it is to the house spirits. If it were to the "
husnisse"
, it would have to be low, because the "
nisse"
is a short creature.

Traditionally offerings left outside are for the nature spirits or the hidden people, like the huldre folk, while offerings inside are for the house wights or "
husnisse"

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:03 am

Ok that makes sense.
I had read about leaving offerings on the floor, like near the hearth or something, and it's always a challenge for me to do any candles/incense/offerings and not worry about the cats getting into it somehow.
I do think I have the spirits of deceased pets here, but as for other spirits, what they are and whether they are short or tall, that I don't know. I just wanted to try to be respectful and make a gesture to them.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:59 am

Darkamber wrote:In Norway we have the traditional Yule oat porridge. It's cooked in milk and traditionally served with sugar and cinnamon sprinkled on top, and a butter "
eye"
A "
new"
tradition is to put a shell-less almond in the porridge, and the one who gets the almond wins a small marzipan pig.

On farms they used to put a bowl of Yule porridge out in the barn for the "
fjøsnisse"
, a spirit that looked after the animals on the farm.
I think they put out a bowl of porridge for the "
husnisse"
, too. That was like a house wight.

The term "
alfar"
can be confusing. It's both the name of the male ancestors, and the Norse elves.
Yule porridge... how cool! Very Happy

Kisa, I think my deceased cats are here, too. They'll sometimes randomly pop into my dreams, very out of context with what's going on. Like I'm in the middle of doing something in my dream, and one of them walk up to me out of nowhere for a quick snuggle. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of them out of the corner of my eye when I'm awake. <
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:30 am

Darkamber wrote: The term "
alfar"

This was needed alfar info!
I was getting confused about it, was not sure if all three alfar spell same, and I had no time to go and look.
Thanks you cared to say!
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top