Why Do People Do This?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why Do People Do This?

Post by Just.Christine on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:14 am

It's bad enough when people do cruel stupid things in the world but why do people [in the name of informing the public and raising awareness]have to share horrible news with graphic pictures? Isn't it enough to tell the story in text? It's bad enough!

Logged into facebook and scrolled down the posts and there was a story about some cruel morons who punished a cat by putting it in a front loading washing machine. And right there with the article was a picture of the poor cat with a link to the video they apparently shot. I'm not certain, I didn't go look. I was too busy being upset and crying over the picture.

I'm serious! Seeing pictures like that traumatizes me! Some people say that the pictures help raise awareness but how much can we see this stuff before some of us get hardened or like me, just cry every day because of seeing this crap that I can't do anything about? There's only so much any one person can do and it's cruel to subject people to graphic images like that. I wasn't prepared to see it and I cried for about 15 minutes [upsetting my own cats!] and I'm still having fits of tears every time my mind recalls that image. I can't fucking un-see it! Ever!
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Do People Do This?

Post by Amber on Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:01 am

I agree, it is awful to see on facebook, like some poor puppy that someone ductaped the mouth tightly shut had to go into surgery, court is on it. At least the FBI believes animal cruelty is now "
mentality of Man Slaughter."
But, I do agree when I see the pictures. It is awful, like the serial killer up North killing all those cats horrorifically, it even makes my friend/brother cringe-we love animals-he beyond loves horror movies, but he is like me, him and I cannot stand pictures like that. I mean, I like the rescue videos, where you see what they were living in, and the happy outcome, but I cannot watch this all of the time. It's enough to Know of this than to keep seeing this. Sad

Amber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:23 am

Oh, I can't look at that either. It tears my heart apart and I can't do anything to stop this cruelty. I mean, I know it's out there, but I just cannot look at it. All I can do is hope that those asswipes get what they deserve. Cruelty is unforgivable to me
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by erinlale on Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:15 pm

I also wish people wouldn't post graphic stuff up front. Behind a wall is OK. Like, a neutral pic for the link, and other stuff only after someone clicks on the link.

erinlale

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/erinlaleauthorpage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:13 am

I, too wish that people wouldn't post horrible, graphic pictures. It breaks my heart every time to see it.

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonwings on Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:22 am

I cringe every time I see someone post that sort of thing. It doesn't help at all.
Dragonwings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Edgewalker on Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:49 am

I am very careful as to what I post in a group or on FB. I have friends who are animal rights activists, and I've discussed content with them now and then. I've also de-friended a couple and nearly jettisoned a few more for posting horror pics. I also tend to not share stories where the pics or headlines are vomit-worthy for the same reasons. There are things we need to know, but I do not think we need to see tortured animals and brutalized humans at random in newsfeeds. Those who hit me with that stuff too often lose me as a supporter.

Edgewalker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:42 pm

Aw man, someone just did it again without realizing they did so by commenting on an article of a horrific photo. -_-;
Sometimes, I think it's facebook. -_-.

Amber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Amber wrote:Aw man, someone just did it again without realizing they did so by commenting on an article of a horrific photo. -_-;

It wouldn't surprise me. Facebook is Satan. >
Sad
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:47 pm

Poppy.Meister wrote:
Amber wrote:Aw man, someone just did it again without realizing they did so by commenting on an article of a horrific photo. -_-;

It wouldn't surprise me. Facebook is Satan. >
Sad
I'm starting to think Facebook is just like MySpace...
Like my friend said about MySpace: "
Satan in a cup."

Amber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:46 pm

Holy fuck... Have you seen Krasskova's WP rant about animal sacrifice? Ooh, it's pissing me off. She's saying shit like it's our right as pagans to sacrifice animals, and if you're not killing animals then you're "
not pious."
She's saying that animal activists are going wreck the entire pagan community and set off some domino effect that will cause any ritual activity to be outlawed. Really, lady??? Is she fucking serious???
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:48 pm

journeyintoinsanity wrote:Holy fuck... Have you seen Krasskova's WP rant about animal sacrifice? Ooh, it's pissing me off. She's saying shit like it's our right as pagans to sacrifice animals, and if you're not killing animals then you're "
not pious."
She's saying that animal activists are going wreck the entire pagan community and set off some domino effect that will cause any ritual activity to be outlawed. Really, lady??? Is she fucking serious???
I'm very fortune not to have seen this.

Amber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonwings on Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:10 pm

journeyintoinsanity wrote:Holy fuck... Have you seen Krasskova's WP rant about animal sacrifice? Ooh, it's pissing me off. She's saying shit like it's our right as pagans to sacrifice animals, and if you're not killing animals then you're "
not pious."

What the fuck? Seriously?! That's ridiculous.
Dragonwings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corannhena on Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:08 pm

Haven't seen it (I don't follow her blog) but I don't really pay attention to what she says anyway. My general attitude toward the Piety Posse is *eyeroll* *heaving sigh of exasperation*

Krasskova would probably have conniptions about the way I offer things to Loki and Sigyn (mostly that I'm extremely casual about it, often it's literally just "
Coffee, yo"
) and that I (gasp! shock! horror!) eat offerings after they're done with them (or share them while I'm eating/drinking them), although I do make sure they are finished before I eat them myself.
Corannhena

View user profile http://corannhena.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:29 pm

Some of her writings are pretty good, although a bit ranty. But this one really pissed me off. I posted a rant about it.

Edit: I posted my thoughts on it and she was quite snotty in her reply. Sigh... Poor woman. I unfollowed her, needless to say. I feel kind of sorry for her. She seems to have such a chip on her shoulder about people "
infringing"
on her rights.
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Edgewalker on Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:13 am

Sadly, fundamentalists are everywhere.

Edgewalker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:17 am

Yup, they are. This was my first true run-in with a pagan fundie. Interesting experience. I've only dealt with conservative Christian fundies. It really wasn't all that different on the pagan side of the coin. She has her opinion, it's "
teh bestest and onliest"
opinion, and everyone who disagrees is trying to personally undermine the pagan community. Rolling Eyes
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by erinlale on Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:20 pm

Some of her blogging I like, some I don't, some I have responded to by writing my own article (I wrote one on animal sacrifice, too, which is in a past issue of Eternal Haunted Summer) and one was so deeply hurtful that it sent me to my support site for emotional support. Her charity fundraising for RAINN and her prayer card publishing are things I support and participate in.

I haven't read her books, and don't plan to for my sanity's sake. I come from a completely different tradition than her and my way of relating to the gods reflects that. I'm probably different than all of you, too. I come from the Bersarkr tradition in which everyone is expected to already be able to be skinridden before being trained, it's something one is supposed to be born with, and training means learning to turn it off, to say no to a god in a way that they can accept. She doesn't seem capable of even thinking about saying no to a god for any reason. I wouldn't be able to function if I couldn't do that. I can only imagine what my life would be like if I literally never said no to Loki, and what I'm imagining isn't pretty. But it would have been worse to never learn to say no to the the Bear and the Cat, and to Odin. Well, that's a big tangent. What was my point? Oh, yeah: that what she seems to think is nearly unthinkable-- saying no to a god-- is precisely what was taught as the foremost skill and obligation in the tradition I learned.

erinlale

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/erinlaleauthorpage/

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:17 pm

I've never heard of Bersarkr before. I'd like to learn more, just so I'll have a better understanding of what it is.

I don't plan on reading any more of her writing. If she had been polite and civil in her response to my post, it'd be a different story. She obviously was looking to pick a fight, so I just walked away. I don't participate in shit-slinging. No, thank you.

I can't imagine not ever saying no to the Gods, either. Early on, I was more inclined to go along with whatever Loki said, but as time went on, I realized that sometimes He was just seeing how far I'd let it go before giving Him the "
whutchutalkinbout, Willis?"
It reminds me of the way my 5 year old tests to see if I'll let her eat ice cream for breakfast. :;
):
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:46 pm

Berserkers are an ecstatic tradition dear to Odin. I don't know how it's utilized today but in the past it was a mind altering experience to make one 'go berserk' in battle [which is where we get that slang]They become extra strong and more invulnerable to injury. Apparently one could go into a frenzy and tear a human being apart by hand. Beyond the Berserker rage, I don't know what other practices are involved. I should read it just to educate myself but I'd be scared to death to be part of something like that. If I'm not careful I can fly into a violent rage. And then get into trouble. I had to pay a fine for starting a fight with a woman who'd left her tiny little chihuahua puppy in her hot car [black with black tinted windows]while she stuffed her fat face in a Chinese buffet. One second I was arguing with her, then she opened her front passenger door and a huge cloud of heat just billowed out of there! I lost it and grabbed her, shoved her face into the heat and asked her how she liked it. Apparently "
the dog is fine"
[it appeared undamaged and I'd had the waiter notify her that the dog was barking incessantly and suffering] means that it was okay that it suffered in the heat. It was in a dog carrier and had no water. Who knows how much longer she would have been inside stuffing her fat gob?
Hell, I'm fat too but I don't mind calling this woman a fat cunt because she let her puppy suffer so she could eat instead of getting it home first and THEN going out to eat.
What's this got to do with Berserker rage? Nothing, I guess. But I sure went berserk on her ass, lol. Laughing
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:46 pm

I hate it when people do that shit. If you're just going to leave them in the car, then do them a favor and let them stay home. Gah... I'm not above busting a window. Or getting the cops involved.
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:00 pm

I probably shouldn't have, but I wrote a response to that animal sacrifice post on what's-her-face's blog. We'll see if she moderates it or not. I basically called her out for being rude and immature to her readers who had come there trying to learn something. Honestly I'm not going to waste my time in checking back.

I've been wondering whether Rollo on "
Vikings"
is a Berserker. They haven't really elaborated on it much, but the attack on Paris really seemed to point at that.

Also, as to the OP, I totally agree that flashing horrific pictures is uncool, as that has been sort of conditioned out of us (having sickness and death and violence separated and shielded from us most of the time) and can be too upsetting. I'm glad I'm not a Facenerd. But PETA is bad about it too.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:11 pm

Yeah, she probably won't post it. I think she deliberately did this to cause an incendiary response so she'd have something to puff herself up and feel like a BAMF. Rolling Eyes
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:00 pm

*bamf* Isn't that what Nightcrawler does? hehe

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:08 pm

journeyintoinsanity wrote:I hate it when people do that shit. If you're just going to leave them in the car, then do them a favor and let them stay home. Gah... I'm not above busting a window. Or getting the cops involved.

I did get cops involved. She gets nothing and I get a 250 fine for starting the fight. Next time I will break the window.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top