" Why I am not a Heathen"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

" Why I am not a Heathen"

Post by Darkamber on Fri May 15, 2015 1:14 pm

This is an interesting blog post:
[url="
Why I Am Not an Heathen (Though I Kind of Wish That I Could Be)"
][/url]

When speaking to Heathens about where they derive the virtues that they form their community on, Havamal inevitably arises as the primary source. While I cannot (and do not) argue with the value of the Nine Noble Virtues, I have irreconcilable differences with some of the source material.

It starts with the misogyny. Hearing Har proclaim that “The speech of a maiden should no man trust, nor the words which a woman says, for their hearts were shaped on a whirling wheel and falsehood fixed in their breasts.” (83), and having “women’s bed-talk” and “witch’s flattery” being included in the list of things that none should trust scored me sorely.

I have not read Havamal, and I didn't know it was misogynistic. I should definitely read it for myself.

At the same time, if I am to truly believe in the Gods as real beings who really can communicate with us, I cannot ignore the gnosis of my fellow priestesses, seeresses, and spirit workers. “UPG” or “Unverifiable Personal Gnosis” is often used interchangeably with “MUS” or “Made Up Shit” in modern Heathen discussion and dismissed out of hand. Even when it is not it is treated with quite a bit of suspicion.

I am in some Heathen groups on Facebook, and I'm aware of the fact that UPG usually gets dismissed out of hand and called MUS "
Making up shit"
Some Heathens believe that the gods have no interest in us mortals, and don't care about us. They dismiss those of us who are God-touched out of hand.
These are some of the reasons why I hesitate to call myself a Heathen. Since I'm a member of the Norwegian Forn Sed (Forn Sidr), I call myself a Forn Sidr Pagan, or Old Norse Faith Pagan.

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: " Why I am not a Heathen"

Post by Lokakisa on Fri May 15, 2015 1:38 pm

It seems weird to me for any pagan, regardless of what they call themselves, to dismiss UPG, as if their religion is stagnant and preserved in history with no evolution.
We don't live like the ancients did, we don't know everything that happened. Do they think the gods always expect us to act like it's 900 CE?
"
Let's all party like it's 900 CE"
lol

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Helloki on Fri May 15, 2015 7:12 pm

im just a belieber =) (sorry this joke may be a bit too hard)

Helloki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sat May 16, 2015 11:35 am

Lokakisa wrote:
"
Let's all party like it's 900 CE"
lol
I thought that very same thing! Smile
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Sun May 17, 2015 1:00 am

A comment I read on the blog post:
Many Heathens, especially hard reconstructionists, have no interest in actual interaction with the gods and look down on those who do.
It's like, they're happy doing modern Viking re-enactment, but don't believe that it's possible to have any personal contacts with the gods.

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sun May 17, 2015 11:20 am

Exactly. And those of us that do have relationships are looked down on as weird. A very polarizing situation.
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Sun May 17, 2015 11:42 am

Well, take heart in that they're a very small minority of the Pagan community at large. I think that's part of the reason they dismiss UPG out of hand. I bet they even invented the term UPG. The term itself is rather insulting when you think about it: it's just another insulting acronym: ADHD, DDNOS, UPG. Mystics in the past were vilified in their day and age too. Called cooks and insane. It's only after they kill you that they revere you. "
Hey! Let's hang this man on a cross!"
"
Cool! Then we can base a religion off of his death and rule the world once we turn the people into sheep!"

Visions imply solitude. In more 'primitive' cultures people go off to be alone and have a vision quest. Gosis IS unverified and personal by it's nature. Group gnosis is far rarer. Fuck those fundie bastards! They haven't shed the fundie Christian notions so rampant in the US. I'm thinking most of the Asshattru are American.

We should start our OWN organization that makes people feel more comfortable about being a member. Most of those Asshattru are just butthurt because they missed out on legally sanctioned pillage and rape.

Speaking of misogyny... just about anything you read that features Odin. Laughing He's painted as a woman hater, really. Read the Lay of Harbard! He brags about rape [hey, it was war, amiright? lol] And to top it off, he totally disses his son, Thor at the end. And then there's Gunnlod. He pretty much just romances the Mead of Poetry right out from under her and then splits after fucking her for three days. He's always painted as a womanizer.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon May 18, 2015 9:23 am

Reconstructionist or not, I don't think people ever shed the Christian baggage they grew up with.
I'm not saying the ancients were perfect and didn't do bad things, either.
These people just sound like LARPers and not pagans. How can you call yourself pagan if you don't worship gods? They're just re-enacters. *shrugs*

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Mon May 18, 2015 4:30 pm

Lokakisa wrote:Reconstructionist or not, I don't think people ever shed the Christian baggage they grew up with.
I'm not saying the ancients were perfect and didn't do bad things, either.
These people just sound like LARPers and not pagans. How can you call yourself pagan if you don't worship gods? They're just re-enacters. *shrugs*

It is very difficult to shed Christian notions whether you're actually Christian or not when you're born and raised in a Christian nation.
It's really sort of sad when you don't know the difference between spirituality and fuckin' around at a Ren Faire. As far as I know the SCA isn't a religous organization.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top