Correction RE: Diana Paxon [Paxton?]

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Correction RE: Diana Paxon [Paxton?]

Post by Just.Christine on Sun May 03, 2015 1:00 am

I need to make this correction right now. Someone had posted book recommendations and I had mentioned her attacking a fellow Lokean on their blog? Well, I was mistaken. I think it was someone who's name had sounded similar, or maybe just a middle age brain fart on my part but Diane Paxton never lashed out at any Lokean as far as I know and as far I have heard, she actually changed her stance on Loki. Previously more on the negative, apparently she's ackknowledged the necessity and proper place of Loki in the Lore and in Heathenism.

So. Yes. Please don't refrain from buying her books on that account. Some say her writings aren't much to write home about anyhow but the friend who's blog is in question is right: One should never boycott someone's books based on their assaholic behavior because you might be robbing yourself valuable information.

She told me the people who attacked her are just about everyone with any power in the AFA. Her blog is http://hailloki.wordpress.com if you want to read it.

God I feel just awful about this! Just goes to show what gossip can do, and i guess I consider what I did to be gossip more than information sharing. In any case, the fact that I got the name wrong shows that I wasn't careful and thorough enough.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Correction RE: Diana Paxon [Paxton?]

Post by Tyrienne on Sun May 03, 2015 10:43 am

Poppy.Meister wrote:I need to make this correction right now. Someone had posted book recommendations and I had mentioned her attacking a fellow Lokean on their blog? Well, I was mistaken. I think it was someone who's name had sounded similar, or maybe just a middle age brain fart on my part but Diane Paxton never lashed out at any Lokean as far as I know and as far I have heard, she actually changed her stance on Loki. Previously more on the negative, apparently she's ackknowledged the necessity and proper place of Loki in the Lore and in Heathenism.

So. Yes. Please don't refrain from buying her books on that account. Some say her writings aren't much to write home about anyhow but the friend who's blog is in question is right: One should never boycott someone's books based on their assaholic behavior because you might be robbing yourself valuable information.

She told me the people who attacked her are just about everyone with any power in the AFA. Her blog is http://hailloki.wordpress.com if you want to read it.

God I feel just awful about this! Just goes to show what gossip can do, and i guess I consider what I did to be gossip more than information sharing. In any case, the fact that I got the name wrong shows that I wasn't careful and thorough enough.

Thank you for making the correction on the forums for me- My old computer died a horrible death and I lost the link to the forums.
As for people who tear the "
Hail Loki/The Lokean"
blog apart? Pretty much anyone in the Asatru Folk Assembly. THAT is why I also write short little articles on facebook under this name, Tyrienne. I really enjoy putting up something uber-folkish under any number of pages and seeing it "
spread"
by the very people who claim to "
hate"
me.

Even so-my opinion is this: People can hate/tear into me all they like, but they will never be able to take away from me my ancestry and my immediate family history of Heathenry. My existence, the existence of my family (both sides), and many, many friends of mine all over the world are proof AGAINST the notion of reconstructionism.

Heathenry isn't "
broken"
or nor was it ever "
abandoned"
....especially by Urglaawe and Baltics like me as well as all those little tribes in Scandinavia... They hate me for the wrong reasons. Don't hate me because I worship Loki (who is also my DAD'S Patron);
it's better to hate me for the truth: That I was born and raised into a Heathen family- and that Heathenry has roots that are longer and deeper than the AFA itself. If they would only acknowledge the CURRENT family traditions that never died, they would realize very quickly that "
hating Loki"
is absolutely silly. To the Lettish (Latvians)- he is the Hearth-fire!

Even the most "
popular"
Gods are not without their flaws.... in the Edda's Woten broke his word/misdirected far more than Loki ever did, and even Tyr broke an Oath- and He is the GOD of Oaths (Him and Vora to the Deitsch- well, okay, we have quite a few "
Oath"
Gods! Very Happy )

The AFA can curse Loki all they like.... but when you reject the God of Intellect and Difficult truth, that says a heck of a lot more about them than it does about us!

-Author of the HailLoki blog.

Tyrienne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Sun May 03, 2015 10:52 am

Tyrienne wrote:
I really enjoy putting up something uber-folkish under any number of pages and seeing it "
spread"
by the very people who claim to "
hate"
me.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tyrienne wrote: .... but when you reject the God of Intellect and Difficult truth, that says a heck of a lot more about them than it does about us!
So very true!

Good to see you back here!
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyrienne on Sun May 03, 2015 10:58 am

Thanks Moon Rouge! Glad to be back- I actually followed the link from the "
Who is reading your blog?"
page on wordpress. I have it saved now so (in between buying a new house stuff)- I will do my best to be more responsible!

FURTHERMORE- I think the returning to the "
old ways"
prior to the monotheistic conversions of so many people's ancestors By the Sword is a testament to the strength of our Gods.

I might be a freak in thinking this- but I believe the "
dark ages"
were literal in Europe in the sense that knowledge of our true religions were forcefully taken and forbidden to most people. Now that you can't get killed for worshiping the old ways, it's a heck of a lot easier to get by.

What I know is this- even my grandparents- both sides, STILL kept secrecy when I was a child. However, after my wedding, my Latvian grandma "
came out"
with a flourish and is a fully participating member of the Latvian "
Old Earth Religion"
- they're rather Vanic/Druid, actually- but they do love Freyr (Janis) Perkuns (Thor) and Mara (Frigg)- (Of course there are others, but those are the most commonly named!)

Rather than judging from a distance and keeping away from the Greater Heathen community- I believe the greatest "
wrong"
being committed right now is that there aren't more people who were raised with the Gods of Europe speaking out and helping to welcome all the new Heathens back to our ancestry and sharing their traditions! It really, really frustrates me.

Tyrienne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shadytrashvoid on Mon May 04, 2015 2:01 am

Does Loki have a different name like Janis, Perkuns and Mara?

I'd love to know more about the religions that didn't die out. And hoe Loki is worshipped within them ^_^

shadytrashvoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon May 04, 2015 5:14 pm

Tyrienne wrote:

dark ages"
were literal in Europe in the sense that knowledge of our true religions were forcefully taken and forbidden to most people. Now that you can't get killed for worshiping the old ways, it's a heck of a lot easier to get by.

I agree with this also. And, the inquisitions and burnings and stuff weren't just against pagans, they were against Jews and minority Christian sects too (and anyone who dared to claim they could hear God ... what was her name, that got burned even though she was Christian?). The mighty Church had to control everything. If you believed different, even the same god, well you were up shit creek.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rjlatrans on Mon May 04, 2015 5:37 pm

Lokakisa wrote:
Tyrienne wrote:

dark ages"

I agree with this also. And, the inquisitions and burnings and stuff weren't just against pagans, they were against Jews and minority Christian sects too (and anyone who dared to claim they could hear God ... what was her name, that got burned even though she was Christian?). The mighty Church had to control everything. If you believed different, even the same god, well you were up shit creek.

Do you mean Joan of Arc? Man, I adore her. She was such a amazing figure and it is infuriating what happened.

However, I feel like with her at that time, "
Witch"
and "
blasphemer"
where just convenient excuses for the English to level against her (also included was that she crossdressed, as that was considered a sin and heresy). She was, after all, responsible for major successes of the French in driving out the English during the end of the Hundred Years War. Heck, she helped END THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR. Mindblowing considering she wasn't out of her teens when she was burned at the stake.

What was especially infuriating was that the King of France at that time could have gotten her back. She was a Prisoner of War, and there were discussions to free/trade for people at that time. He never did, and evidence shows that he was envious of her popularity and feared her influence over France.

What is really amazing though is that the story didn't end at her burning- after all, it was only 25 years later that her charges were overturned- a movement spearheaded by none other than her mother Isabelle Romée, who after her daughter's death went on her own crusade to clear her daughter's name.

The appellate process involved clergy from throughout Europe and observed standard court procedure. A panel of theologians analyzed testimony from 115 witnesses. Bréhal drew up his final summary in June 1456, which describes Joan as a martyr and implicated the late Pierre Cauchon with heresy for having convicted an innocent woman in pursuit of a secular vendetta. The technical reason for her execution had been a Biblical clothing law.[84] The nullification trial reversed the conviction in part because the condemnation proceeding had failed to consider the doctrinal exceptions to that stricture. The appellate court declared her innocent on 7 July 1456.[85]

...sorry I just love Joan of Arc to a fervent degree. When I was a mega-Christian, she was one of the few figures I could identify with and who made me feel like maybe I was ok (the DFAB kid who was too opinionated, liked to do what the boys did and play war games, and had spiritual experiences that seemed unusual).

rjlatrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon May 04, 2015 5:47 pm

*chuckle* I had such a serious brain-fart, I mean her name was right there on my tongue and I could NOT remember to save my life. Yes, thank you, her, and that's really cool to hear about those extra details, I was not aware of that at all. She is such a hero, and an example of what I meant regarding control of belief.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rjlatrans on Mon May 04, 2015 7:37 pm

Lokakisa wrote:*chuckle* I had such a serious brain-fart, I mean her name was right there on my tongue and I could NOT remember to save my life. Yes, thank you, her, and that's really cool to hear about those extra details, I was not aware of that at all. She is such a hero, and an example of what I meant regarding control of belief.

Yes, it's really quite interesting! For example, I studied the witch hunts in Scotland as well (my Senior Thesis in English lit was the common view of witches and their presentation within mythology, folklore, and lit and how it mirrored the position and views of women and in recent years the feminist movement), and many of the women burned were Christians as well. Some men, mostly women. In many cases there it was a case of leftover folk magic integrated into everyday life that was what might stir things up (which is one reason on tumblr and in various areas I get a lil' snarky about people who say Christian Witches don't exist- there have always been Christian women who practice witchcraft as a kind of cultural folk remedy practice, and at least in Scotland they were a common target for Inquisitions and Witch Hunts.), though in most cases it was women who were 'outside the norm'- those who were loners, wore pants seems to be a common theme of attack, women who controlled property, etc.

TBH, I feel anytime religion is married to secular means and in control, you got a problem with people who will use their power abusively to either A) enforce their beliefs, or (more commonly among those in power I feel) B) consolidate even more power and wealth by playing religion like a game and paying lip-service to it to control people. You can see this in the USA and it's history with the prevalence of it's brand Evangelical Protestant Christianity.

And realizing I am rambling. (I warned about this in my intro- don't say I didn't warn you guys!) It's just a topic I find fascinating and can inspire a bunch of rants in me. Laughing

rjlatrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon May 04, 2015 7:49 pm

Yes, yes, yes, oh I am a history nut, I love to hear about it. I have read/studied similar things as well.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Tue May 05, 2015 3:44 pm

rjlatrans wrote:
Lokakisa wrote:*chuckle* I had such a serious brain-fart, I mean her name was right there on my tongue and I could NOT remember to save my life. Yes, thank you, her, and that's really cool to hear about those extra details, I was not aware of that at all. She is such a hero, and an example of what I meant regarding control of belief.

Yes, it's really quite interesting! For example, I studied the witch hunts in Scotland as well (my Senior Thesis in English lit was the common view of witches and their presentation within mythology, folklore, and lit and how it mirrored the position and views of women and in recent years the feminist movement), and many of the women burned were Christians as well. Some men, mostly women. In many cases there it was a case of leftover folk magic integrated into everyday life that was what might stir things up (which is one reason on tumblr and in various areas I get a lil' snarky about people who say Christian Witches don't exist- there have always been Christian women who practice witchcraft as a kind of cultural folk remedy practice, and at least in Scotland they were a common target for Inquisitions and Witch Hunts.), though in most cases it was women who were 'outside the norm'- those who were loners, wore pants seems to be a common theme of attack, women who controlled property, etc.

TBH, I feel anytime religion is married to secular means and in control, you got a problem with people who will use their power abusively to either A) enforce their beliefs, or (more commonly among those in power I feel) B) consolidate even more power and wealth by playing religion like a game and paying lip-service to it to control people. You can see this in the USA and it's history with the prevalence of it's brand Evangelical Protestant Christianity.

And realizing I am rambling. (I warned about this in my intro- don't say I didn't warn you guys!) It's just a topic I find fascinating and can inspire a bunch of rants in me. Laughing

You know, I have a whole section on lore and history here on this board. I wrote a post a bit ago sending out a call for articles. If you have copies of anything relevant tying Heathenry or Germanic/Celtic culture with history I'd love if you'd publish them here-all rights remaining yours, of course. Unlike other sites who claim the right to republish people's work for profit [although you retain copyright, how nice, huh?]I don't do that and it's one of the reasons I pay to host my blogs and forums. It protects my content and those who post here.

You know, although I don't know much about history, it's been a recent interest of mine. Like the past two or three years. One historical period of interest involved the Lombards in Italy. Pope Gregory was a Lombard. I just find it interesting how people of wealth and power will switch hit whenever they think a new religious or political system will gain them more power over their subjects. Obviously the teachings of Christianity as laid down by the church instill qualities that make subjects easier to control. The past 1700 years has done more to damage the human spirit than any other time in history. I don't even think most people in power believe in god because most of the mass conversions took place at the behest of previously Heathen leaders. And then there's horrible zealots like Charlemagne. Heathen rulers betrayed all the gods. They didn't trade Odin for Jesus. They traded Odin for an idea and sunk the dreams of the one who died on the cross.

Poor Jesus. He was the sincerest of fools. Humanity was simply not ready for his teachings. The power elite needs a conscience before mankind can change as a whole. Otherwise there's naught left but two main options: apathetic slavery or continual revolution. It's slipping more and more to the former these days. Who has time for revolution when they come home from their job at Wal Mart to work on their car on their days off so they can continue working at their job at wal mart?

If I went to college I'd probably end up majoring in History and Minoring in sociology.

You know what's really interesting? The bible itself says that the Heathen will stand as a witness against the Christians at "
the end"
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Tue May 05, 2015 4:29 pm

You'd think with all my rambling I'd write an article. But as it stands I am a newbie with the Norse/Germanic stuff and don't feel like much of an authoriteh. *Cartman voice*
I get the feeling (and have been told through Nono) that there will be some creative work to do as part of my path of service. When I started reading some Loki devotionals, I got the sense that I was being told "
you could/should do one, too."

Somehow, someway, I will produce some crafts and devotional materials. I have so much to study and so many books I want to get. I hope one day to contribute some herb lore or scent magic or something. I even told Nono that I wanted to be another Vanic resource like him and he was really excited by that. I'm sure y'all will be the first to know anything I come up with.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Tue May 05, 2015 4:55 pm

Another way of looking at it is that it's like writing a book report. As a matter of fact it could be a book report! Rather than feeling obliged to use several books as a reference for an article or essay, just do a short report or review on a good book.

Also for people who do reports or articles there's going to be small awards, like maybe a soap, incense or candle from Nono's or Beths! Something of a five dollar value. Of course my funds are limited so this would probably be limited to two awards a month. Ten bucks is easy enough to swing. It could even be five dollars toward a layaway payment or five dollars toward a purchase.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Tue May 05, 2015 5:02 pm

Oh my, that is quite generous! ^_^
I have an obsession with collecting, researching .. hardly doing. I think Loki will be the One to nudge me out of that rut.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Tue May 05, 2015 6:02 pm

Beth has two Loki soaps: Lokacchino which is cocoa and coffee and is awesome the other is Loki Caliente which I got a free sample of, also awesome! I recently got a free sample of Hera with my Odin candle and soap and it is sooooo awesome I ordered a bar. I've been wanting a fragrance that is "
Me"
for years and this one is definitely me. I hope she makes a perfume oil of it too!
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Tue May 05, 2015 7:10 pm

I don't like the Lokaccino one (I had a small sample) but I just started using the Caliente today and love it!
Ooh the Hera fragrance sounds interesting, you should definitely nudge Beth to make some.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rjlatrans on Tue May 05, 2015 8:23 pm

Oh man, I could probably dig it up somewhere. I saved all my old essays from school, though it would need a lot editing (I'm pretty sure the last 5 pages were fueled by caffeine and desperation alone). I still got a B+ on it, which yay! But yeah. Would love to post it here if I could find it!

I also am looking to get into Graduate School to get a degree in Folklore, so if I manage that I would be happy to share tidbits and stuff I'm researching here. This stuff is like candy to me, how stories shape society and how society shapes stories.

rjlatrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Tue May 05, 2015 8:26 pm

rjlatrans wrote:Oh man, I could probably dig it up somewhere. I saved all my old essays from school, though it would need a lot editing (I'm pretty sure the last 5 pages were fueled by caffeine and desperation alone). I still got a B+ on it, which yay! But yeah. Would love to post it here if I could find it!

I also am looking to get into Graduate School to get a degree in Folklore, so if I manage that I would be happy to share tidbits and stuff I'm researching here. This stuff is like candy to me, how stories shape society and how society shapes stories.

That is so awesome! And you can say how "
mythology"
never ends ... the stories change, evolve, but the gods never die.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Tue May 05, 2015 9:00 pm

rjlatrans wrote:Oh man, I could probably dig it up somewhere. I saved all my old essays from school, though it would need a lot editing (I'm pretty sure the last 5 pages were fueled by caffeine and desperation alone). I still got a B+ on it, which yay! But yeah. Would love to post it here if I could find it!

Oh my! We'll be calling you Doctor soon! Smile
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rjlatrans on Tue May 05, 2015 9:29 pm

Lokakisa wrote:That is so awesome! And you can say how "
mythology"

Sometimes they may fade though- but even little things can bring them back. I have a friend who is working with a deity who has very little resources and current worship left (Angitia, a snake goddess of Italian origin who was changed to a Saint), and she described her as 'hungry for worship'- must have been starved for human experience for years!

But yes- the stories do go on and tracing them back as far as possible is awesome to me.

Poppy.Meister wrote:Oh my! We'll be calling you Doctor soon! Smile

Oh man I hope so. I've been out of school for a couple years and hope to scramble together enough money and means to get back and move to a college that has the program, and to continue on to get a PHD.... /happy sigh. Dream for me.

rjlatrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Tue May 05, 2015 10:17 pm

rjlatrans wrote:
Lokakisa wrote:That is so awesome! And you can say how "
mythology"

Sometimes they may fade though- but even little things can bring them back. I have a friend who is working with a deity who has very little resources and current worship left (Angitia, a snake goddess of Italian origin who was changed to a Saint), and she described her as 'hungry for worship'- must have been starved for human experience for years!

Aww that is really neat!

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyrienne on Tue May 19, 2015 3:58 am

shadytrashvoid wrote:Does Loki have a different name like Janis, Perkuns and Mara?

I'd love to know more about the religions that didn't die out. And hoe Loki is worshipped within them ^_^

Likely "
Lopt"
like the Finnish, or Zinez, which is the name of "
constant-fire"
or Urglamate- a Fire Goddess- Loki is gender-neutral, and the stories are...different.

...since "
Loki"
means "
onions"
in Latvian vernacular.. Shocked

Tyrienne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Wed May 20, 2015 5:50 pm

Tyrienne wrote:
shadytrashvoid wrote:Does Loki have a different name like Janis, Perkuns and Mara?

Likely "
Lopt"
like the Finnish, or Zinez, which is the name of "
constant-fire"
or Urglamate- a Fire Goddess- Loki is gender-neutral, and the stories are...different.

...since "
Loki"
means "
onions"
in Latvian vernacular.. Shocked

Onions can be hot. Smile And can make your eyes water just like the product of fire-smoke-can make your eyes water. Yeah, I know. quite a stretch there. Laughing
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Wed May 20, 2015 7:09 pm

I can think of a few other things that'll make your eyes water. *eyebrow waggle* Razz
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Thu May 21, 2015 6:26 am

journeyintoinsanity wrote:I can think of a few other things that'll make your eyes water. *eyebrow waggle* Razz

I'm waaay too slow on the uptake this mornin' dear. Gimme a hint? Laughing
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top