There's No Place Loke Home?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

There's No Place Loke Home?

Post by Just.Christine on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:27 am

Well, here we are! After spending one week and one weekend trying to secure better service for our forum, I think I've finally hit pay dirt here! It took some little hit 'n misses here too before I was able to get this forum to work right. After fixing the snags and having Darkamber run user and moderator tests, everything seems to be checking out. Some have reported that the 'stay logged in' or 'log in automatcially' function wasn't working right and I addressed that in the wee hours yesterday. Hopefully that's fixed now too. Auto logins have to do with cookies I'm pretty sure so if it keeps not working right then cookies must be wonky too.

Until I'm certain this forum will run smoother than a baby's bottom I won's delete the other forum. At least for a couple months. If this board remains stable for a couple weeks then I'll put up a paypal donation link. Until I'm sure it's going to run right I wouldn't feel right accepting donations. But if it does, then yeah.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: There's No Place Loke Home?

Post by Corannhena on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:45 am

(Is the "
loke"
a typo or...?)

Yeah, the "
check box thingy still isn't working for me :/ I'm on Chrome, if it helps.
Corannhena

View user profile http://corannhena.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Actually it was a typo, I was backspacing it out and noticed it said Loke, so I decided that was fortuitous and decided to keep it, lol.

I'm sorry about the login not working correctly. I don't know why it wouldn't. It works for me and I'm using Chrome too. Check your browser settings: Are your cookies and/or data settings set to delete cookies when the browser closes? Other language used might be 'clean up tracks upon closing', 'erase traces', 'clear browsing data' etc.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:46 pm

It looks like Axel Orlik spells Loki same as you and I don't think it is a typo : )
Loke in Younger Tradition
http://www.northvegr.org/secondary%20so ... index.html

I cannot get logged automatically too. I have to log in again every single time. I just tried all three browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox) plus Dolphine on mobile with same result. Cookies and stuff work for all other sites and forums I'm on.
On other hand, it is not big deal to click "
every time, as long the site remembers my password, because I most of the time don't. Laughing
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corannhena on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:02 pm

Yeah, same here--cookies and stuff don't get erased on any other site. Chrome was doing a thing a little while back where it suddenly started deleting cookies from literally every site I logged in to whenever I closed the browser, but I fixed that. This is the only login site that doesn't stay logged in for me. And it's literally every time I close the tab the forum is on (or go to a different site if I'm on mobile), not the browser itself. I haven't yet checked it in Firefox, but I'd rather not have to use a different browser just for one forum.

edit: Okay, I checked the "
cookies on computer"
list in CCleaner (before just now logging into the forum) and couldn't find friends-of-loki.net, either in that list or the "
cookies to keep"
list. Did a CClean (which erases all cookies not in the "
cookies to keep"
list), logged in to the forum, and checked the "
cookies on computer"
list again while logged in. friends-of-loki.net was not in the (much shorter now) "
cookies on computer"
list, so it's literally not even putting a cookie onto my computer at all.

son of edit: Tried re-bookmarking the site after I'd gotten logged in. Seems to be keeping me logged in for now BUT the cookie is still missing from both lists on CCleaner, so if I do get logged out, even if I log back in, it will just keep logging me out whenever I close the tab.
Corannhena

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:33 am

It's not a big deal to me. I always clean my cookies/history each day. Then just log back in when I'm ready. I'm just glad to log in without errors.
My $.02.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:45 pm

.:sigh:. ugh. well I'll get to work on it eventually. since it's more of a convenience thing and not critical, i'm going to give it a rest for awhile. i definitely need a break after the last week of hell.

since i'm obsessive about things, i bet i'll have a hard time staying away from the problem for long. it's a brainworm now.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:32 pm

Corannhena wrote:Yeah, same here--cookies and stuff don't get erased on any other site. Chrome was doing a thing a little while back where it suddenly started deleting cookies from literally every site I logged in to whenever I closed the browser, but I fixed that. This is the only login site that doesn't stay logged in for me. And it's literally every time I close the tab the forum is on (or go to a different site if I'm on mobile), not the browser itself. I haven't yet checked it in Firefox, but I'd rather not have to use a different browser just for one forum.

edit: Okay, I checked the "
cookies on computer"
list in CCleaner (before just now logging into the forum) and couldn't find friends-of-loki.net, either in that list or the "
cookies to keep"
list. Did a CClean (which erases all cookies not in the "
cookies to keep"
list), logged in to the forum, and checked the "
cookies on computer"
list again while logged in. friends-of-loki.net was not in the (much shorter now) "
cookies on computer"
list, so it's literally not even putting a cookie onto my computer at all.

son of edit: Tried re-bookmarking the site after I'd gotten logged in. Seems to be keeping me logged in for now BUT the cookie is still missing from both lists on CCleaner, so if I do get logged out, even if I log back in, it will just keep logging me out whenever I close the tab.

Okay, try again?
Also when I was on Admin control panel, I set it so persistent login [that's what it's called] key expires every 14 days. So you should be able to stay logged in or autologin for two weeks at a time before needing to actually log in unless you or someone else using the computer cleans up the history and cookies are checked
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:00 pm

It Works Now, All Perfect, Thumbs Up, Poppy U Shine! Very Happy Razz Very Happy

I closed the browser (Firefox) and when I opened it again and got here it logged me automatically! Yay! Very Happy
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corannhena on Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:25 pm

Yep, it's working for me now too. I'd been logged out when I first got on today, but after logging in I closed the tab just to see if it would stay logged in, and it did. Checked the cookies list on CCleaner and friends-of-loki.net was finally in there, so I added it to the Cookies To Keep list.
Corannhena

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:30 am

Awesome! I RULE!! Very Happy

The problem was that the cookies section of server settings in the forum's Admin CPanel was still set to the old site's directory because I'd simply copied the forum folder from the old host site to the new. And it wasn't working right at the old site because the cookies domain box had my main domain name-igotcherback dot net- instead of lokeans.igotcherback dot net.

Luckily for me the information was relatively easy to find this time. And I didn't have to open up and edit any serious files like config.php and do anything scary in the code itself. I've done it before to make a banner show up on a forum instead of the theme template banner. I had edit an html file and a cgi file or something like that. Then I had to rename the banner file site_logo and put it into the correct folder. Even though I do a thorough backup before making code changes on the forum it's still a bit nerve wracking to look at all those intimidating, alien lines of code. I'm telling you, programmers earn every penny they make.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Helloki on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:49 am

Loke is not at all a typo, its another spelling

no problems here, logs in automatically, smooth website
only i would suggest, if you link a website, make it appear in a tab-page

pls

cheers

Helloki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:43 am

Helloki wrote:Loke is not at all a typo, its another spelling

pls

cheers

You put your website as a signature, I think. If you want it as a tab you have to change it in your profile.

You get to your profile settings when you click on your messages, right next to login tab on upper bar.. There you can also upload small avatar picture.

When you look here to right side column under avatar some, you do now, have only one square tab labeled "
P"
, that is to sent a private message . Some, I do, have two tabs. The other one is a bluish globe. It is the link to personal website.
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Helloki on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:00 am

yes yes this is how i like it, website as signature
im on a few forums =)

but what i ment was for example
http://www.google.be
if you click on this it closes the forum and goes to the weblink
i don't think i can change this? would be nice if standard function was opening it in a new tab

greetings

Helloki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:07 am

I understand what you mean - to be able to click a link and it opens in another tab, instead of having to hit the back arrow to return to the forum. Yeah that would be nice, I am not sure how to set that up.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:17 am

I right-click to open in the tab. I open nearly everything everyplace in tabs, so it comes naturally, even on Mac. Smile
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:35 am

Ah, you're right, I'm on a laptop and don't often think to do the extra key-press to open a tab.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corannhena on Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

I know Loke is another spelling of Loki's name, but I meant "
is it a typo of the word 'like'"
Corannhena

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:38 pm

pls

cheers

Actually that's not available as a setting when I created a re-direct in my server cPanel. Also, if it's code you add on the phpBB forum admin cpanel, I don't know the coding. I didn't see an option for opening new page in a new tab. However, if you're using Firefox, you click on the menu in the upper right corner of the browser [appears as three horizontal lines] go to options/settings [icon is a lug nut] on the tabs tab, simple check mark the boxes that enable you to open new pages in a new tab and also, if you wish, to go the new page immediately as soon as you click the link. Leave it blank and you need to navigate to the tab yourself if you're not done with the current page you're on. I didn't see this option in Google Chrome which made me frown. I use Google Chrome most often because it's faster. Although I did notice Firefox has streamlined their browser quite a bit since I last used it regularly.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Helloki on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:59 pm

thanks tho!

Corannhena wrote:

I know Loke is another spelling of Loki's name, but I meant "
is it a typo of the word 'like'"
woops lolki Laughing