are you a " true warrior" ? *Worf voice*

View previous topic View next topic Go down

are you a " true warrior" ? *Worf voice*

Post by Lokakisa on Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:52 pm

LOL. I know calling the Norse pantheon a "
warrior cult"
is really over-simplified, but actually what I really wanted to ask about is whether anyone does any exercise or sports or martial arts or dance etc. etc. in honor of the gods?
I try to motivate myself to work out by saying "
do it for Loki."

I thought maybe we could encourage each other's fitness goals, and talk about being active in service to the gods.

My goals are to get in shape, and learn belly dance. I want to dance for my own personal empowerment, and use it as sort of a spiritual experience. Like how yoga can be meditative. I want to do it to celebrate life and love and Loki, to be my own mini-goddess or temple dancer or whatever you want to call it. I'd really love to learn how to incorporate a sword later. (so uh, there's the warrior part, lol)

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: are you a " true warrior" ? *Worf voice*

Post by Just.Christine on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:12 pm

Y'all have fun with that. I'm not motivated enough to take up a martial art, gym equipment and spot training subjects a human to undignified postures that look ridiculous in motion, and I've tried to lose weight and get fit so many times with no success that I gave up. I used to talk an hour walk daily and bicycle for an hour each evening and lost no weight. Sure I toned up a bit but no weight loss with 2 hours of exercise daily? Fuck that shit.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:06 pm

I hear ya. I've tried and failed many times.
I know it's important for me to keep trying though. I can't really be a good emissary for Loki if I'm too depressed about my looks to be joyful. I have to consider the other benefits even if I can't look like a supermodel.
Though I'm no expert, I'm tempted to suggest that you were missing strength training of some sort to boost the metabolism. Also 2 hours a day might be too much! Overtraining can fatigue your body so it is unable to recover and grow muscle properly. One of those hours of cardio could've been switched up to yoga or bodyweight exercises or something. I know, contortions ... But ya know, squats, lunges, and the like? And some sort of stretching.
Something like Tai Chi or Qi Gong looks nice and meditative.
Don't give up on walking though. It's good to get outside for sun and fresh air and move your body, keep your joints lubricated.
And watch your posture! I'm really trying to get better about my posture. And drinking more .. I'm really bad for not getting enough fluids.
Exercise is good for stress ... and maybe a meditative walk can get you in touch with the land, spirits, Odin? Or you can say to Him, "
this is MY me-time."

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by njm on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:43 pm

I started a new fitness regime around the time Loki came to me. Didn't consciously link the two, I just wanted to get into shape for myself. However, one of my workouts does revolve around music videos featuring Marvel!Loki and I recently started one based on kickboxing.

njm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:53 pm

Ooh, that sounds cool!
Do you practice kickboxing through class, book, DVD?

While not kickboxing exactly, I'd love to learn capoeira.

I have a hula hoop, too ... need to get back into that.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:37 am

I moved to a new flat about a month ago, and there's a gym 3 minutes walk from where I live. I've just joined, and I'm going to get an intro lesson from a personal trainer today. I hope she can help me set up a training program. I was very ill two years ago, and I gained a lot of weight quickly;
I went up four sizes in two months. I've managed to loose a bit of the weight and one size of clothing. I don't overeat, and I try to only eat sweets during the weekend.
I plan to go to the gym three times a week. I like using exercise machines. I'm currently disabled, so I certainly have time to work out.

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:03 am

Work it, girl!
A talk with a physical therapist might not be a bad idea, unless your trainer is skilled in that also (to help ease you into it and work around any concerns/limitations).

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:08 pm

I decided to spend the money on a personal trainer, it's 8 sessions. She knows a lot about how the body works and what you should eat and such. She was also very good at motivating me to do the exercises and good at showing and explaining how to do them correctly.
So, to begin with I'll be working out 2 times a week, for 4 weeks. I really need this to get going.

Darkamber
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:42 pm

*thumbs up* Good luck! I hope it, uh, "
works out."
^_^

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:50 am

LOL! ^_^

Darkamber
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rjlatrans on Sat May 02, 2015 9:04 pm

I mostly raise up my writing and practice my poetry for Loki, though Morrigan has me lifting weights now! Of course she isn't of the Norse Pantheon, but very much a warrior. I've been thinking about practicing self defense techniques as well.

Between the two of them, I have a feeling I'll end up somewhat of a warrior poet. Laughing Though I have been feeling like learning to dance more in connection to Loki here and there. Not sure what KIND of dance though. So many styles! And no spare money to take classes.

Oh! And less warrior related- but plants. All of my scattered pantheon agree I need to grow a garden for both garden and practicing witchery purposes. But also 90% of it is herb related and related to health benefits they can give me, so to work on my physical well being.

rjlatrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by njm on Sun May 03, 2015 5:22 am

Well, a warrior-poet sounds cool. For some reason that makes me think of Aramis in the Three Musketeers! lol

njm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon May 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Ah that sounds cool too!
Creative work is also a part of healthy living, as well as gardening and herbs.

I have to put in my vote for hooping. Not that I know how to do any intricate moves, but I find that even when I don't stick to belly dance tutorials, I am motivated to pick up my hoops often. (I say "
hoops"
because I just bought arm loops.) If you go this route, it's important that you buy adult fitness gear not the toys at Walmart. I got my stuff from canyonhoops.com (who also sells through Amazon, though there's no difference in price or shipping)
At any rate it's like being a kid again and a fun thing to do that you can dedicate to Loki. As you get to being able to spin it around longer you can just zone out. I'm starting to try to walk and move around while it spins, and also while standing still I can practice a few belly dance arm moves.

If you want to try belly dance, I highly recommend getting the book "
Better Bodies Through Belly Dance."
She has the best breakdowns ever and also (finally!) a weekly schedule. I get so frustrated with videos not telling you how to pace yourself. The author is really nice and there are instructions to contact her to have access to demonstration videos.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rjlatrans on Mon May 04, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks! And yeah, in the two traditions I am mainly focused on, there is a big history for it as well. Some clips from the "
warrior poet"
TV tropes page has some history tidbits like-

Similiarly, in old Ireland, you couldn't be a great warrior unless you played the harp and mastered fidchell, an ancient Irish board game, somewhat similar to chess.
Norsemen got great social recognition for being good skalds as well as warriors. Poetry and berserker-rage were gifts from the Gods. Therefor a skilled warrior and poet was thought to be favored by Odin. See the mythology entry above.
The Irish hero Finn MacCool, known nowadays for having far too many pubs named after him, was an early example of this trope. He commanded a large group of heroes who were required to be masters of war and poetry as well.

Definitely a ideal to inspire to, anyway!

Hooping seems cool! Surprised I was leaning towards Salsa or swing, due to having the shoes for it already (my younger sis was a dancer and has all sorts of dance shoes left over before her back gave out and she had to quit. :<
), but i'll look into that too. Bellydancing is another one I looked at, but I feel like I want something more about footwork? IDK. Plus, i did my fair share of dance classes when I was a kid too, and my favorites were always Jazz or the more energetic modern bits. AND TAP. Good lord i loved tap.

rjlatrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon May 04, 2015 5:24 pm

There can be some footwork in belly dance ... enough that it frustrates me and trips me up literally.
You can move side to side, front to back, and turns. I don't think beginner stuff starts you off with too much at first, depends on the DVD. I've never taken a class. But there is more legwork than you might think. Walking while shimmying is a real challenge!

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonwings on Mon May 04, 2015 5:55 pm

I used to bellydance too. I had to take a break from it when I needed my hips replaced (yeah, my body hates me XD). So I'm hoping I can pick it up again.

I'll have to check that book out Lokakisa. Sounds good.
Dragonwings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon May 04, 2015 6:26 pm

Awww, I hope you are better now.

I have 38 belly dance DVDs. @.@ I haven't even watched all of them. I have trouble sticking with it yet I'm obsessed with collecting them. Feel free to PM about opinions if you are eyeballing some on Amazon or whatever.
Lacking a class environment, I get frustrated easily. That book was the first thing I've come across that actually gives some structure to practice. I may not be doing things "
by the book"
at the moment but I will sneak in moves here and there.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonwings on Tue May 05, 2015 2:30 am

I'm good now. Smile I have 3 bellydance dvds. We'll see if I actually start using them again. XD
Dragonwings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top