Cassandra's Offering Wording from The Ragnarök Chronicles

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cassandra's Offering Wording from The Ragnarök Chronicles

Post by njm on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:29 pm

Lokakisa finished reading my novel, The Ragnarök Chronicles (thanks so much! Smile ) and asked me to share in this section of the forum the wording of the offering Cassandra makes to Loki in the book.

Now, this was something I wrote before I became Lokean, so it's not based on any research or anything like that. It was just a simple wording I devised for Cassandra to use in the story.

To make an offering, Cassandra lights two candles, and then she pours mead into a bowl, saying the following:

Hail Loki, I offer this libation in your name and pray my offering will please you.

njm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cassandra's Offering Wording from The Ragnarök Chronicle

Post by Darkamber on Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:03 am

I like it!

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Yay! Thanks for that.
I thought we could have some fun discussing our personal spins on it.
What types of candles? What colors? If not candles, how would you change it to suit an alternative? (incense, oils, battery-powerd, etc.) Like you could use a special lamp or light-up object.
Fancy candleholders? Something artsy you made or bought?
What sort of cup and bowl?
What types of drinks? How about an alcohol substitute, or a food treat?
Would you have formal and informal versions of it, or only do this on certain occasions?
Would you use it for non-food/drink items?
Do you have words to add, a favorite kenning maybe?

This reminds me vaguely of a ritual in Kemetic Orthodox called the senut. Senut *is* historically-based somewhat, but the basic jist is to quiet your mind and prepare yourself for communing with Netjer. It's basically like, private altar time. So I could see using "
Cassandra's Prayer"
as a basis for a small ritual, if you want to sit quietly and actually pray or offer something special like art or poetry or a song or a dedication. This is what got me so interested in it. I mean, I love the casualness of dealing with Loki. I have not felt the need to be overly formal with Anyone. But sometimes I'd like to have that special prayer time;
I think it'd be real meaningful to Him. And it might be a good way to calm down after a rough day, connect with Him if you're having trouble, or get your mind set for some divination.
The senut ritual actually starts with bathing. If you had the time, you could even consider using Loki-themed (or another god) soap, bath salts, or whatever prior to the offering, dress in some simple, comfortable clothing and make it like a date or a picnic or just to get yourself in the mood (take that naughty or not).
I'm not trying to invent an "
official Lokean ritual"
but just give a springboard for items if you feel the need for some heartfelt "
ceremony."

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:13 pm

Lokakisa wrote:(incense, oils, battery-powerd, etc.) Like you could use a special lamp or light-up object.
Oh jeez, when I read "
battery-powered"
I thought you meant something else-- not a candle! I haven't read any of this in the book yet, so I was like, "
What kind of scene is this?"
:mrgreen: Ha!
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:19 pm

AHAHAHA the vision of two battery-powered you-know-whats lit up for the offering ....

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:58 pm

Not entirely inappropriate for a Lokean altar, right? And some of them do light up. *snicker* Laughing
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by njm on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:11 pm

I go away for a few hours and the discussion degrades into this *shakes head sadly* *grins*

In the story, the first time Cassandra makes do with what she has to hand. Later she gets white candles and a pewter bowl.

I always like the idea of either red or white candles for Loki (I have white at home at present). If not offering mead, I also use port or liqueur. Maybe hot chocolate! Smile

njm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:26 am

njm wrote:I go away for a few hours and the discussion degrades into this *shakes head sadly* *grins*
I try my best. :;
):
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:50 am

Lololol ...

Anyways. *nods* I've read that white is always a good general color for any practice/faith/ritual.
I'd prefer a naturally-colored state, but I do have dyed candles that were gifted to me or bought. One of my goals with candle-making is to figure out how to color in an eco-friendly way.
Orange wax, which occurs as a liquid, can make a nice color and fragrance but it seems to take a lot to impart color, at least to beeswax. I haven't figured out the right amount yet.
The honey color and fragrance of a simple beeswax candle could be appropriate for Loki.
Bayberry wax is also an option, with a natural fragrance and green color. I don't particularly like that fragrance much so I'm trying to work out a mix of natural waxes that'll be more pleasing to my senses.
A simple way to make candles is just using beeswax and essential oils. (well, relatively simple, it does take some trial and error) I have a strong negative opinion about fragrance oils.
You can also buy unscented incense sticks and soak them in essential oils.

But colors and scents really come down to your personal relationship to the god(s) and your personal ethics.

No scent is also an option if you choose to just focus on the flames or whatever. The scent, color, texture, etc. of the offering drink/food can be a sensory offering experience.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:27 pm

I just bought some votive candles for Loki from Nornoriel. They look great, and the scent is subtle, which is good, because my mum has asthma and she gets bothered if I have used incense when she comes and visits.
The candles I bought are dyed red, decorated with gold sparkles and are scented with cinnamon.
I use them for my Saturday offerings, when I also pour Loki a drink of Fireball whisky. I light the candle and say "
Hail Loki! I welcome you into my home and into my heart."

I do a ritual on Wednesdays, too, where I just light a white tea candle in a brass holder which has heart shaped holes in it.

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:44 pm

I think I saw those. Cool.
That sounds nice. I like your words about welcoming Him!
I think there are lots of easy variations here, now that we have a starting point.
This morning I lit some incense, and said, "
Hail Loki! I hope this offer of cedar incense pleases you. Thank you for your blessings."

So there's probably like a billion ways to do this, but I like the chance to do a little extra heartfelt effort instead of my usual casual chatter. I usually greet Him in the mornings with "
Good morning, sunshine!"
or "
Good morning, Mr. Foxy!"
and a grin. ^_^ Sometimes I touch the hand of the AvengersLoki doll and greet His family also.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cassandra's Offering Wording from The Ragnarök Chronicles

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top