Post by Moon Rouge on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Last edited by 65 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rune Links

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:26 pm

Ooh, lots to read this weekend. Smile
I'm going to my runes class tonight. Super excited!
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:42 am

I used to do blind readings with runes back in 2012. I had two main pages that I went to to look up the meaning of the runes:

/

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:32 am

Sunnyway has a lot info there, I posted the link to all or most pages linked. (Linked link, ha ha it is Sunday, I cannot do better!)

Elder Futhar is good too I like there they put whole aettir to perspective, it is sometimes good to know, especially when you draw more runes from same one.

The First Aett represents the ‘Life Cycle’.

The Second Aett represents the external forces that put themselves upon us. In most cases these are not ruled by intelligence, but by the forces of nature.

In the Third Aett the last set of runes are the internal forces that help us deal with the external forces of the Second Aett, as we travel the path outlined in the First Aett.

Or from oocities.org link above (the site is nearly gone, but like the info still seen there):
The first Aett deals with the establishment of order out of chaos and the establishment of cosmic patterns.

The second Aett deals with the energies that weave, pull, and disrupt these patterns, and consequently make a change.
These runes in the second aett are the dynamic powers of transformation which serve as a counter balance to the forces of creation.
(Also, Tyriel named the Second Aett the aett of Orlog. (Norns rules the first three runes)

The third aett is ultimately the aett of divinity, order and justice.
Depending on the choices made and paths taken, we reach the higher planes of consciousness or descend into the recesses of destruction.

I made my own rune pages, combined from many, with my own notes added.
I'm trying hard to get the complex feel of a rune stone, with its many shades and facets, and it is hard. I cannot say I master single one yet.
Recently I dropped the reverse version of a rune, it makes no sense to me, reverse is not different, same like person who turn their back to you, still same person.
I will see how it goes, I go back and forth on stuff. Looking the aettir as whole is my latest approach.
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:26 pm

I just did my first reading of the runes last night. Way different from Tarot. The instructor described runes as a "
no BS"
form of divination. But I was a bit confused, and had difficulty interpreting them. I've also seen where readers combine runes and cards, and that seems like something I'd like to learn. Does anyone here do that?

Also, this site has a nice guide for interpretation: [url:vz8ubtzg]http:
//www.
earthwitchery.
com/runes.
html[/url:vz8ubtzg]
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:25 pm

journeyintoinsanity wrote:I just did my first reading of the runes last night. Way different from Tarot. The instructor described runes as a "
no BS"
form of divination. But I was a bit confused, and had difficulty interpreting them. I've also seen where readers combine runes and cards, and that seems like something I'd like to learn. Does anyone here do that?

I don't know how to do it, but when I got my immersive reading from Beth Wodandis, she combined a three-rune pull, a five-card Tarot pull, a four-card Lenormand pull, and one card from something called Oracle of Visions.
The rune spread addressed my first question, the Tarot cards my second question, and the Lenormand cards my final question, and then the Oracle card was like an overall theme. So that may be a way to do it, have several questions that are related to the overall reading, and pull a different spread for each.
I'm not sure if I would personally try that regularly without more experience. I've heard that different decks and tools have different personalities, and you choose which one is appropriate for the matter at hand.
Of course that may not count for runes;
I assume they can handle any question and don't have differences (like playful decks versus serious decks, etc.).

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:52 pm

I tried combining my cards and runes this morning, and it seemed to work out pretty well. I did a 3-card spread and supplemented it with a 3-rune pull. I rather liked it, and I might start doing combo-readings instead of just cards or just runes. Using the cards in conjunction with the runes kind of helped guide me in the direction that the runes were going. Set the tone, as it were. It makes it easier to learn, I think. Smile

In the somewhat-near future, I may ask you all if you wouldn't mind me doing a practice reading for you.
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:52 pm

I'm up for that. I'll probably doing free practice readings as well. Not in the near future though. I find the runes harder to memorize because unlike a tarot deck, there are fewer visual details to help me recall. That and my memory is that of a 50 year old woman and that means I practically have to hammer it into my head.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:06 pm

Poppy.Meister wrote:I find the runes harder to memorize because unlike a tarot deck, there are fewer visual details to help me recall.
That's one of my issues. I have a few that really stand out, but others... not so much.
Maybe those of us that like to do readings should trade off and read for one another. Smile
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:00 am

Christine, I got my hands on PDF of Thorsson's Futhark Handbook of Magic. I think you said you have it or plan to have it. It is great, totally worthy!
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:13 am

I've also heard good things about Diana Paxson's "
Taking Up the Runes."
The lady that ran my class spoke highly of it and Ms. Paxson. Smile
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:47 am

I know Diana Paxson by name only, often mention as good source. I will have to buy her stuff one day soon, after I am at least little familiar with stuff I already have.
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:01 am

That's funny, I have heard negative commentary on Thorsson and Paxson so I'm avoiding them for now. And Aswynn, too.

As for practice readings, that would be awesome. I too wanted to do that when I got to a comfortable point. I have a rune set, several Egyptian-themed tarot sets and a scarabs set, two cat-themed tarot sets, and soon I will be getting a pendulum and altar cloth printed for pendulum use.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm

Lokakisa wrote:As for practice readings, that would be awesome. I too wanted to do that when I got to a comfortable point. I have a rune set, several Egyptian-themed tarot sets and a scarabs set, two cat-themed tarot sets, and soon I will be getting a pendulum and altar cloth printed for pendulum use.
Ooh, I have my heart set on two cat-themed decks as well as the Giants' Tarot. It's the only one I've seen that depicts Loki in a favorable light. The only disappointing thing about it is He's shown as a brunette. Not with red hair. One of you all that's artistically talented should create a Loki Tarot. Him, His family, the Gods and Goddesses, scenes from the myths... Smile
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Oh wow, a Loki tarot, that would be interesting.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:31 pm

Only negative review I heard were about Blum.
You have to read the stuff yourself to know.
I got Thorsson for reason many quote him, some giving credit some not. I like his approach, if anything it most definitely doesn't hurt to know.
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:43 pm

Oh my goodness, I sure didn't mean to come off so negative sounding. I can't remember the reasons why, and it doesn't mean I wont read them or something that references them eventually.
I know so little to be able to tell the good sources from the bad.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:58 pm

Lokakisa wrote:Oh my goodness, I sure didn't mean to come off so negative sounding. I can't remember the reasons why, and it doesn't mean I wont read them or something that references them eventually.
I know so little to be able to tell the good sources from the bad.
Don't worry about it. I sounded also harder than I liked it to come out! Smile
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:46 pm

Honestly I'm having ma difficult time with the rune handbook. I think it's better suited for intermediate or advanced. Or perhaps it's just because I'm not taking to it as quickly as some things. I'm usually a fast learner. The text is a bit dry and boring to me. Perhaps I should put it down for awhile and get something a little easier. Or just use my tablet app like flashcards for now.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:59 pm

Christine, I sit on runes every day. Something like flashcards to start with is good idea, you want to get the basic meaning first. What actually helps is to draw the runes and look up the meaning, it will make you remember. If you like it you go for more and more detail then. I compare the different sources now. To be honest, I skipped the first chapters in Thorsson book, I went straight to rune descriptions. I'll get to his chapter 1 on another day! Smile
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:07 pm

Well, I consecrated some salt for cleansing and ritual purposes. I don't know if you even need to consecrate salt but I put it on the altar and hailed Loki and Odin and asked them to consecrate it for me. I decided it would be done when I went to sleep and then woke again. So now I have consecrated salt. Now I can cleans and consecrate my pendulum, runes and cards to make sure no nasties are going to mess with them. Knocks on wood.

I've heard mixed things about Paxon. Her and a couple other association big wigs smacked down pretty hard on one of our Lokean members here, who has the benefit of a family tradition that goes back centuries.

That wont stop me from reading books form these people though. No one person is all good or all bad. Someone can be an absolute asshole and still be knowledgeable about a good many things. Credit where credit is due, I say.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:54 pm

Poppy.Meister wrote:I've heard mixed things about Paxon. Her and a couple other association big wigs smacked down pretty hard on one of our Lokean members here, who has the benefit of a family tradition that goes back centuries.
Wait, what? Oh, Hel, no. Smack-talk and bullying do NOT fly with me. True that they may be knowledgeable, but I'll not support people who behave that way.
journeyintoinsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:17 pm

She gave me a link to those posts and naturally I can't find the link anymore. She had written an open letter to association big wigs for being Nokean and generally snobby Asshatru. Apparently she wasn't altogether accurate about the Nokean thing, as one member of The Troth is actually Lokean. I have the Troth Books myself and there's one good Loki article in it, but they're stance on blots is that Lokeans still have to 'sit in the back of the bus' and toast Loki away from the main blotts, when they hold annual campouts and whatnot.

I think that sucks.
Only in America... Rolling Eyes
This whole Nokean nonsense seems to be mostly an American sentiment where people are still influenced by Christianity I guess. Perhaps they need to acquaint themselves with the lore of other pantheons. I have yet to hear of any pantheon that doesn't have a trickster deity. It's a monotheistic sentiment to treat the trickster as a devil and an evil that must be utterly destroyed in the end.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:35 pm

Poppy.Meister wrote: I've heard mixed things about Paxon. Her and a couple other association big wigs smacked down pretty hard on one of our Lokean members here, who has the benefit of a family tradition that goes back centuries.

That wont stop me from reading books form these people though. No one person is all good or all bad. Someone can be an absolute asshole and still be knowledgeable about a good many things. Credit where credit is due, I say.

Most of the time I'm last one to know a drama. I came across Paxton name a lot lately, never read one rune description by her, so I cannot say how good she is. It made me naturally curious though. Thorsson, on other hand, is noticeable influence. When I read you got him I didn't want to stay behind.

What you say it makes me so not to get her book, not even be interested! Nobody is all good or all bad, also nobody is all original.

I wish to know the story, this is upsetting, I had no clue!

UGH<
I took too long to type, again!

You are right, It sucks!
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top