Greetings in peace

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Greetings in peace

Post by Lokakisa on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:57 pm

I'm a fairly new Lokean, having been a Kemetic for around 20 years or so.
I grew up reading comics, including Thor, but never took an interest in Norse mythology really. Being a total cat nut I was instantly enamored with Ancient Egypt from the very first time I learned about it in school. Though I was brought up Christian I always had an interest in witchcraft, history, and mythology in general. While in high school I became an atheist, due to feeling like Christians were hypocrites. But soon after in college my interest in Egypt and the Netjeru were renewed and I began to worship Bast and Sekhmet primarily.
I've been a member of the House of Netjer for roughly 15 years, but had been feeling dissatisfied for a long while, feeling a desire to explore magic, divination, Druidism/witchcraft, green/nature/elemental work, etc. and to find out more about my ancestral roots. Then comes along the Marvel movies, and I fell hard for HiddlesLoki. After some time of merely fangirling, I started noticing on the web and even within the Kemetic community that there were followers of RealLoki. Suddenly last year I realized that I wanted to move beyond fandom and explore Heathenism/Lokeanism. I had also been wanting more of a male presence in my life, like Nefertem or Set, but really felt pulled towards Loki. I made sure to ask/search around for advice and to learn more about the real lore vs. comic lore.
Things escalated last fall when I had to put my eldest cat to sleep due to a long illness that she wasn't winning against. Whether you know it's coming or not, a pet's death is still devastating. I became more depressed than usual, contemplated suicide, and my health problems flared up badly. I hadn't planned to replace her (I had six others plus two dogs) but the local shelters began to advertise overflow problems, so I found a cat online that I wanted to adopt and name for Loki. He turned out to be cranky and unresponsive to me, and then this chatty little girl in the room began to point out all the kitties, and lo and behold there was this young lilac-point Siamese hiding in a cubby hole behind the litterbox. I went through the whole shelter to meet all the cats but came back to the terrified one who had been named Rika and brought her home. Come to find out, Rika comes from Old Norse, it means "
eternal ruler"
or "
lone ruler."
As I worked to gain her confidence, I had the impression that Loki - not my usual gods - had given her as a gift to cheer me up and His wish was for me to love her and take care of her. (now she is a rambunctious attention-hog, lol) Hence my screenname Lokakisa, which means "
Loki's kitty."

Sooo, I cleared things with my temple that Loki was going to be my primary god now. I'd consider myself multi-path at the moment. I still have my Kemetic altar.
I'd like to make it plain that I don't worship HiddlesLoki. BUT, as I couldn't find a decent statue of Him that I liked, He allowed me to buy the very expensive Hot Toys Avengers Loki figure as a devotional piece (His shelf of stuff is placed above all, and away from the cats for safety). He seems cool with MarvelLoki collectibles as long as I understand the difference. I know some say that Odin and Loki took advantage of the movies to gain more followers anyway.
Oh, and one final interesting tidbit - I'd been told that my ancestry was English/Irish. I finally took one of those DNA tests (from Ancestry.com) and guess what it came back as ... primarily Scandinavian (42%!)/English/Irish. I was stunned, and so were my mom and dad. (My family has been here in the Southeast US for many generations.) Not that heredity should have any bearing on your spiritual choices (obviously I'm not Egyptian), but this just gave an interesting perspective to my latest path choices, and now I'm interested in learning about my Disir.
Sorry for an incredibly wordy post. ^_^;
Nice to meet y'all.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Greetings in peace

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:18 pm

What a sweet story about your kitty, even if it started sad. I've had to say goodbye to my furbabies, and I know how bad it hurts. But things seem good for you now, huh? Smile
Welcome! Smile
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:52 pm

Thanks!
I love your avatar image. Lagertha is my hero!
When I looked around in my pics to choose one for myself, I found it funny that I had this old image of a "
laughing"
cat with red markings.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by njm on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:56 pm

I'm glad your sad experience eventually led to something good.
Welcome to the group.

njm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Rouge on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:33 pm

I just wan to say I was about the first one to tell you Hi, and got internet problem, couldn't post. So there! Hi!
I lost my first cat to cancer, I know the pain, it took me long to recover too. There is a poll around here, you may see this forum has majority of cat people!
I collect and customize dolls, Blythe dolls, but I also have 3 Hot Toys Avengers Loki. One is factory mint, one has red hair repaint and 'civil' clothes, the third one is full custom, I sanded original down and did full repaint and minor face carving. Welcome here, have fun!! Smile
Moon Rouge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:37 pm

Thanks! I love your pic as well! Can't go wrong with a laughing cat... especially a red one. :;
):
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:27 am

Thanks for the welcomes!
And that's really cool about the custom dolls!

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi and welcome!

We have a similar background!
I also became an atheist in high school, and in my early 20s I became a Pagan and began to honour the Goddess as Bast and Sekhmet. I were drawn to these goddesses because I'm a cat lover. I never had any interactions with these goddesses, though, and after some years I stopped honouring them, and just prayed to the Goddess. I was a soft polytheist for many years, until I encountered Loki.

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:09 pm

*nods* I saw that in your intro thread!
Making a jump from Kemetic felines to Loki seemed so weird, now I know I'm not alone!
I do still talk to the Netjeru, but I never felt as close to Them as I feel to Loki now.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:10 pm

You have a "
godphone"
?

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:21 pm

Ah no, not really. I just meant that I hadn't stopped honoring Them.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:18 pm

I was going to ask what a sporfle was but the picture says it all. It's one of those words that sounds like the thing it represents, lol.

Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed reading your intro. I used to be embarrassed by the whole HiddleLoki thing but who am I to judge how people come to the gods. Perhaps the gods utilized the movies to gain followers as an opportunity knocking sort of thing. Also, perhaps they feel that followers who aren't ashamed by how they appear to others makes them better, more open minded candidates who ultimately won't be run off at the drop of a hat. Not only that, but if it was mostly a spirit of fandom at work, where are Thor's followers in all of this? It's been almost exclusively Loki and Odin. Hell, most fans I know didn't like MArvelOdin. I didn't much care for him either. Although Odin in the real is far darker and treacherous.

But somehow I start of called by Loki and end up being Odins. I still honor Loki, of course, but Odin sort of put himself front and center.lol
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:42 pm

*snickers* I wish I could give credit for that picture but I've had it years and years. Maybe it came from one of those lolcat sites. It just seemed oh-so-appropriate for this forum. ^_^
When I was first poking around about Lokeanism, I did see it mentioned a lot that Odin and Loki are notorious for gathering followers, and They were probably taking full advantage of the movies. It is funny you don't hear as much about Thor! Maybe He is not a "
recruiter,"
then again I haven't gone out of my way to read sites that aren't somehow connected to Loki. I want to think that I've read Loki will introduce you to other Gods, though.
Who's to say there weren't comic-inspired pagans back in the day (certainly D &
D got a bad rap but probably inspired a lot of Wiccans) but we didn't have the internet back then. Depending on where you live and who you live with, it's not easy to "
come out"
as a pagan. The internet has been great as a place to finally feel free.
I think (hope) that coming from a reconstructionist path, I was smart enough to not jump right in to being another Tumblr HiddlesLoki wife.
It took time to realize that I wasn't happy and needed a change;
that I didn't have to seek validation or get all my needs met by just one temple.
And after all the fan-bashing I've encountered as I did my research, I felt it was better to just be upfront about my fandom. Loki's lesson is never to lie to yourself so I am honest about my fancrush and what started me on this path, though I'd say the process began prior to the Marvel movies.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:15 pm

I made this forum specifically to address the fan bashing. At first I was intent on keeping HiddleLoki brides out of here but it felt soooo wrong. I felt like one of the snobby exclusive elitest heathens who were snubbing Lokeans. I kept getting a strong feeling from Loki that if I didn't let go of ALL judgement, then this forum would lose his blessing. So I modified the open statement to fangirls to be more inclusive and made a fan spaz subforum. I feel Loki's nod of approval. His thoughts about fan inspired worship is that the fad will pass and mainstream fad motivated Loki brides will disappear when they lose interest in the fandom. In the meantime theres the forum as a safe haven
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top