An idea about divine relationships

View previous topic View next topic Go down

An idea about divine relationships

Post by Darkamber on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:37 am

Originally posted on "
[url=Magick from scratch][/url]"
:

This post will be brief. I am thinking of the various ways that I have heard practitioners describe their relationships to God, Goddess, Gods, or sacred figures across trads. I notice that there are two basic axises… at least as far as I can tell.

One spectrum runs from Self to Distant Other, with Other somewhere in the middle. On one end of that spectrum, you have people who see deity as shaping their identity in some way. They want to emulate that deity, live up to their ideals, dress in their sacred symbols, etc. On the other end of the spectrum, you have practitioners who see deities as abstract forces of nature.

The other spectrum runs from Independence to Servitude, with Dependency of some kind in the middle. On the one end of the spectrum, you have witches who relate to deities like the postman, those who relate to deity as friend (or other similar relationship), and on the other end, you have Godslaves. Somewhere in the middle are those who see deity as teacher or parent.

I made up this graphic to show the relationship between these ways of relating to deity. The bias here, of course, is that I expect most people to be in the middle of the square and to relate to deity as Parent, Teacher, Guide or Protector. The corners represent various sorts of extreme, though well within the gamut of what you will see in any given tradition.

All of these are valid, and none is more valid than any other. You will notice that I do not order these in terms of intensity. Intensity can happen with any of these relationship types. Being a Godslave is not more intense or fulfilling than being a deity’s lover, or finding your deity within.

A person can have a strong and impossible to understand relationship with a force of nature that leaves them feeling baffled. That is pretty intense, too.

You can also relate to the same deity in multiple ways. A person might sometimes relate to their deity as spouse, or as master, depending on the interaction. You might both emulate your deity and see them as a friend or lover. Heck, Christians and Jews might have all of these relationships at once with their deity. I think though, that we tend to settle on one or another of these roles as a default or favorite.

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: An idea about divine relationships

Post by Just.Christine on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:25 pm

This is really interesting. I saw it on your blog.
My relationship to Odin slides around this spectrum. We sort of dance around it. Or fight around it. ( Or ignore him spitefully around it, lol. )
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corannhena on Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:33 am

I am in the top-middle square (lover/spouse and friend) wrt Loki.
Corannhena

View user profile http://corannhena.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top