The first Lokean I met

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The first Lokean I met

Post by erinlale on Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:52 pm

This is a story about a person I used to know. I originally wrote a longer version of this to post on my public blog, and then tried to strip off all the identifying info, and cut out parts of the story that were not necessary, and what I ended up with was no longer about me (the original version included stuff about my dream work, but it was awful) so I decided to just post it here instead of on my blog.

It was the mid '90s. The term Lokean did not yet exist in the 90s, as far as I know. By Lokean I mean a person whose patron god is Loki, not simply one who honors him as a god. Every heathen I knew at the time considered him as much a part of the pantheon as any other god.

Back then everyone was still using gendered terms to refer to their relationships with their patron gods, so this guy was called a Loki's Man rather than a Lokean. Let's call him John Doe.

John Doe is the only person I have ever met who was terrified of his own patron. He was so afraid of being noticed by Loki that he would not say his name out loud.

John Doe was constantly talking about how afraid he was of his god's attention, so much that it frankly became annoying, and one day I snapped, grabbed him, and drew a rune on his forehead, and told him, "
I have marked you with Freya's symbol. For the rest of the day you are invisible to Loki. He can't see you, he can't hear you. Now relax."

That did make him relax, temporarily. I did not give much thought to why he might consider Loki his patron and yet be afraid of Loki seeing what he was doing. I was busy running a retail store.

After I got sick and lost my business, I was in desperate need of a housemate to split the rent with. I preferred a female housemate, but anyone who did not make me feel unsafe would do, so, a gay man was OK too. So John Doe moved in, and for a while it worked fine. I drove him to work every day, so I knew he was making money. Then one day the rent was due and he just didn't have any money. I could not come up with the rent money without a roommate paying part of it, so I kicked him out and got someone else really quick. When I cleaned the furnished room he had rented so that I could rent it to the next person, I found a mirror under the bed with white powder on it. It was definitely not dust.

I had known John Doe for a couple of years at that point, and he had been actively hiding his life and actions from his patron god the entire time. Ruining his life with cocaine must have been what he was trying to hide from Loki.

John Doe and I never discussed what sort of relationship he had had with his patron before he started hiding from him. Looking back, I'm guessing he probably expected to be punished for screwing up. Instead of bringing his problems to his god, he hid from his god when he needed him most.

If there is one thing I've learned from my own life, it's that when there is something I can't handle, the best thing to do is give it to the gods. I can't help John Doe now;
I haven't seen him in almost 20 years, and haven't seen any of our mutual friends in almost 20 years either. His own patron can help him, though. As a human being, I have limits on what I can do, and this is one of those things. So I am letting it go. I let it go, and give it to Loki.

erinlale

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/erinlaleauthorpage/

Back to top Go down

Re: The first Lokean I met

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:18 pm

Couldn't agree with you more if I tried. Smile
I do hope your friend got the help he needed.
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Just.Christine on Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:31 pm

Strange how people have varying perceptions on what their gods approve of and disapprove of. I don't really get any bad feelings from Loki or Odin about using the various mind-altering substances. The only feeling I get about is that if it bothers the individual doing it then the god wont approve. If the person is okay with it, the god will approve providing you're not wrecking havoc in other people's lives. Apparently this guy had a horribly tormented conscience and shouldn't have been doing it. Apparently it affected his ability to be responsible too.
Just.Christine
Site Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkamber on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:15 am

I don't understand how "
John"
could think that he could actually hide what he was doing from Loki.
I'm pretty sure Loki knew about his drug abuse, what with being his Patron.

Yeah, some things we just have to let go.

I met my first Lokean friend via the [url=Lokeans community][/url] on Livejournal, early in 2011.
She had also been inspired to reach out to Loki by a character on the tv show Supernatural.
It's interesting how pop culture can be a gateway to the old gods.

Twitter: Darkamber Dragon
Darkamber
Site Admin

View user profile https://darkamberdragon.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by erinlale on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:48 am

Thanks, everyone.

erinlale

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/erinlaleauthorpage/

Back to top Go down

Post by  on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:11 am

The first Lokean I met was Amber. We do not know each other in real life, only from a social network.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum