interesting variation on the cave motif

View previous topic View next topic Go down

interesting variation on the cave motif

Post by erinlale on Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:14 am

This paper: https://www.academia.edu/10188509/Germa ... erspective

p. 307 (on the image, not the pdf page count) footnote 19:

Freeing the god from the cave -- something I dreamed I did as a small child, and later came to identify that god as Loki -- in Saami tradition is part of the Thunder God tradition and a task of Saami shamans. For the Saami, the god in the cave is their Thor equivalent. Most of the variations on the story cited in the paper have the Thunder god and a helper working together. Thor and Loki, not just best friends and traveling companions but interchangeable parts of a process whole. Interesting.

erinlale

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/erinlaleauthorpage/

Back to top Go down

Re: interesting variation on the cave motif

Post by journeyintoinsanity on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:18 am

Very interesting. I'd like to sit down and read the entire thing.
journeyintoinsanity

View user profile https://journeyintoinsanity.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bsa on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:42 pm

An academic called Mr frog, the world is a strange place, for an interesting set of papers, e heide published one on Loki, the vatte and the ash lad, successfully making a case for framing the later and post med tales, as well as working with the retrospective methodologies network Helsinki, meanwhile from the other direction there was a paper written on the saami and Loki possibly being from pre aesir mythology, worth a look, will see if I can find the ref later, it involved the division of space between male and female, black and white, life and death as well as a few other points of interest. There's a fair amount of variation between Scandinavian areas.

bsa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokakisa on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:28 am

I've read the one on the vatte and the Ash Lad, it's pretty interesting.

We can probably say that most cultures had variants throughout the region, but some places like India, Egypt, Greece, China, etc. tend to be a bit more uniform (as in having a state religion as well as personal/local variants).
But then you have places like Scandinavia, England, heck lots of places in Europe I suppose, and North America, which didn't always have a central authority figure.
So saying all of Scandinavia believed "X" would be like saying all Native American tribes believe the same thing.
And then of course you've got all the local variants about vaettir and alfar and whatever else meshing together over time.
The Faroese ballad "Loka Tattur" makes me think that Loki was a bit of a folk hero in some ways, but there is just so little evidence left of what ordinary people believed. Of course Thor was very popular and Loki was definitely His helper and sidekick.

Lokakisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top